Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can a NWOC work for 2 families as a nanny share???

(8 Posts)
NannyGR Tue 07-Nov-17 08:11:00

Hi, I currently work in a nanny share for 2 families looking after 3 children, family one g2 mon-fri and family two g2 and g6 mon-thurs.

I am currently pregnant and exploring options for my return to work. Can I legally come back to work with my baby and still work for the 2 families? Some say that a nanny can’t work for more than 2 families unless self employed but I guess my question is do myself and my baby class as a family when I’m not actually being paid to look after my own baby?

Very confusing sorry I apologise in advance! If anyone has any experience or facts would be great to know.....

Thanks!!

Yukbuck Tue 07-Nov-17 13:48:55

You're right. You're not able to go back to the nanny share with your own baby. Even if you were self employed you wouldn't be able to by the way.
It is annoying though. I work for 3 families over the week and it is a faff sometimes that i can't be flexible and have all 3 on one day occasionally.

nannynick Tue 07-Nov-17 15:25:36

Can I legally come back to work with my baby and still work for the 2 families?

No. 3(1)(a)(ii) of the legislation would be breached as you would be caring for a child from Family A, children from Family B and your own child (a child from Family C).
www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/979/article/3/made

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Tue 07-Nov-17 21:32:38

This always seems like a really unfair rule to me, when childminders can look after children from any number of families alongside their own child and even apply for special allowance to be made to cater for siblings, twins, etc. I was nearly made redundant myself while pregnant because of it, but one of the families decided to keep me on.

Does anyone know why it exists? NannyNick?

Yukbuck Tue 07-Nov-17 21:36:01

I'd be interested in knowing this too singing and whether it would likely be changed. I think a bit of common sense could be applied and maybe a child limit rather than number of family limit?

nannynick Wed 08-Nov-17 03:39:53

This would be something to raise with your local MP. The line between nanny and childminder has to be drawn somewhere, so currently it is drawn at the limit of caring for children from two families.

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Wed 08-Nov-17 10:30:50

Thanks Nanny Nick I thought the main distinction was where children are cared for. I may look in to it further at some point.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 08-Nov-17 14:12:39

As others said no as it would be 3 families

Do they do a share as cheaper

Could you work with one family at reduced rate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now