Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Afterschool Nanny - realistic? 5DC

(10 Posts)
UmmBum Mon 06-Nov-17 10:24:21

Hi,
Might be a shot in the dark, but I'm wanting to know if my plan is realistic and if so, what the going rate might be for a live-out afterschool/evening nanny in Yorkshire.

I've become a single parent in the last year, and have 5DC. Their father's (2 of them) are flaky and unreliable and hardly see the children, so it all falls to me. I've got little family support. Quite frankly I'm knackered. DC are all at school during the day time (aged 4-13) and the eldest has ASD but he isn't too tricky behaviour wise anymore provided his routine is followed. I work during the day part time and also have my own business.

I'm wanting to suggest the following hours: 3pm-10pm Mon - Friday
- 3 weeks of the month. I will also be a home and will mainly just require an extra pair of hands up until 8pm bedtime (for the younger 3 DC) and then I want to focus on my business from 8pm-10pm but the older DC won't need much support during these hours, so nanny might use this time to tidy-up children's mess, iron their clothes etc.

On the 4th week, I want to give the nanny the whole week off, and ask for weekend care (sole charge) from 9am Saturday until 8pm Sunday. Where nanny would stay overnight as I want to use this time to visit trade fairs/wholesalers for my business. It might be that only some of the children are around, rather than all 5, if their father's decide they want to see them.

Is this workable at all? Too much/too little for a nanny to do? What modifications might I need to make based on your experiences?

Any advice would be great. Thanks muchly :-)

CryingShame Mon 06-Nov-17 10:32:05

If the nanny is live-out, where will they sleep if they stay over for the weekends?

I suspect you'll struggle to get interest because it's not the same pattern every week. In London or a big city, e.g. york, you might get interest but possibly not if you're more rural.

notafish Mon 06-Nov-17 10:39:54

I guess it could suit someone - maybe someone who is studying part-time via distance learning or only has lectures earlier in the day could be interested?

AnaWinter Mon 06-Nov-17 10:44:46

I think you will struggle to get some one to work those hours unless you are offering a very attractive salary.

MaidenMotherCrone Mon 06-Nov-17 10:59:08

You need a Mrs Doubtfire.

I'd do those hours but

a) I'm not a qualified Nanny
b) I'm too far away

I'd love the job though ( not helpful in anyway I know)

UmmBum Mon 06-Nov-17 11:18:30

Thanks all :-)

If I was to stick with Mon-Friday 3pm-10pm and skip the weekends (I'd find somebody else for that maybe) would that be likely to be more attractive a role then?

AnaWinter Mon 06-Nov-17 12:35:41

Yes I think so. Four weeks a month 3.00 - 10.00.

AnaWinter Mon 06-Nov-17 12:45:08

Or even 3.00 - 8.00 would be better. Could you get the older ones to go to their room/sit quietly from 8?

By the way op well done you flowers. I am not sure what business you are in but most wholesalers close on the weekend so you may not need nanny for then.

Yerazig Mon 06-Nov-17 13:06:11

Finding an after school nanny most parents find hard enough. Add in the amount of children you have (no offence) which may put some off and the late finishing time, plus you being around even if it will make the work load easier. You may struggle. If you look on nannyjob of a few local sites and look at jobs being advertised that could give you a clue at what gross rate to pay. But think it will definitely need an attractive salary.

nannynick Mon 06-Nov-17 16:49:19

3pm, is that the time the children arrive back to your home? If it is the time of school pickup, then factor in how long it would take your nanny to go from your home to school, find parking and be certain to be at pickup point in time. So it may be 2:30pm start.
Consider transportation... make it clear in any advertising that you need someone with their own car, if you do need that, plus how many children they would need to transport - not many nannies will have a car that can transport six people.

How will timings change during non-school weeks? Your nanny will take paid holiday at some point, you may wish to restrict that to being during school holiday periods, though it depends which days/weeks you will find easier to cover yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now