Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice on hiring a nanny with her own child

(29 Posts)
Amz27 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:15:57

Hi Mums

So I'm a nanny with a 9 week old and I'm looking to go back to work once my baby is 6 month old! I would like to take him with me once I return to work but I'm not sure I will find a job. I want to know what is everyone's opinion on hiring a nanny with a baby?

I want to know would people be willing to pay a full wage for a nanny with her own child or if not what sort of discount would you expect?

I had a little bit of bad luck and got made redundant whilst I was pregnant so I haven't got a job to go back to. I would just like to get some advice on what I can expect.

Thanks

southeastlondonmum Sat 04-Nov-17 16:46:58

Unless you were v highly qualified I would expect a discount. Otherwise there is no incentive to take you on and have split care for my child. Others may feel differently but that would be my view

Amatree Sat 04-Nov-17 16:51:42

I personally wouldn't employ a nanny who was bringing her own child. I would struggle to believe that my child would be treated equally and wouldn't want to pay for them to take second place to the nanny's own child. I would also worry about reliability and you cancelling if your child was ill. Sorry, that's just me being honest but others may feel differently.

SuperDuperJezebel Sat 04-Nov-17 16:52:47

Hi, I am a nanny with my own baby, I've been back at work for about 9 weeks (since she was 5.5 mo old). I found that a lot of agencies weren't interested - basically told me they'd love to help me if I put my baby in a nursery so I advertised locally and found a job via a local forum in the area I wanted to work in. There is some debate about whether you should expect a pay cut or not, I was willing to because I felt it made me a more attractive prospect, rightly or wrongly. My previous job hadn't paid what I felt was the going rate when I left, as I'd been there for so long, so my new job actually pays what I was earning before!

I contacted a lot of people advertising jobs that might have been less attractive to your average nanny, like after school nannying or only a few days a week, and pitched myself at them. It worked reasonably well, I had 3 interviews and got offered two. The family I work for are amazing and so kind to my little girl and that's really important to me. In return I'm happy to do my absolute best to make their lives easier and look after their boys well.

Feel free to message me if you want any other info! Best of luck with your job search.

SuperDuperJezebel Sat 04-Nov-17 16:56:21

It's a shame that you feel that way Amatree but it's not uncommon. I feel like I'm enough of a professional to prioritise... I go to whoever needs me most. Sometimes it means leaving my baby to be second place but I think that's not the worst thing for her. I'm likely to only have one baby for a variety of reasons and I don't want her to grow up thinking she's the centre of the universe. I am quite fortunate that my husband can work from home if needed so if she's sick, we can almost always arrange it so no one is inconvenience. It's entirely a personal thing though and it's fair enough if you feel that way.

Amz27 Sat 04-Nov-17 20:57:10

Thanks everyone for your replies it's really helpful to get different opinions on this!

I'm happy to hear some of you would consider hiring a nanny wanted to bring her baby to work with her.
Regarding some issues I would always treat the children the same and I'm sure my child would probably come second a lot of the time. Also if my child is ill I would leave them at home with his father or with is grandmother as I wouldn't think it was fair to bring him if he was unwell.

I was on 11ph net before I had a baby so what would you mother be willing to pay?

Thanks SuperDuperJezebel how long did it take you to find a job this time around with having your baby with you? Not sure when I should start looking x

Bunnychopz Sat 04-Nov-17 21:02:09

I’m not a nanny. When I look after other people’s kids though, I naturally worry more about the other child

SuperDuperJezebel Sat 04-Nov-17 22:21:31

I think it took me a few weeks Amz, but I took it slowly as she was only about 2mo old when I got made redundant and wasn't in a desperate rush to go back, so only applied for a few jobs in that time.

SuperDuperJezebel Sat 04-Nov-17 22:23:44

Re hourly rate, I would have been looking for approx £12/h net without my baby (15 years experience, degree, twins/nannyshare/SEN experience, so asked for £10/h. I was offered a position at £9/h prior to the one I accepted but turned it down.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 05-Nov-17 22:52:49

Yes a discount should be offeeed as you won't be giving the children you care for 100% attention

10/20% seems about the going rate

It is a privilege to Take own child to work - to be with them all day - not to pay any childcare fees

Yes some nannies will say they are on same rate /not discounted but usually a job they were in before so family knows them

Caulk Sun 05-Nov-17 22:59:41

I’ve recebtly come across a family where the nanny had been taking her child to work with her. It worked until her child got to about 14 months and then they started copying the behaviour of the older child the nanny was employed to look after.
She has had to pay for childcare for her child due to the copying.

Socksandslippers Sun 05-Nov-17 23:21:40

Hi

I’m a nanny with my own children. I went back to work 6 weeks after having my first child, she came with me but it was very hard. I put the families children first and my own fitted in around everyone. I felt like my baby missed out on things as I was always at work. When my baby was eight months old I started working for another family with a newborn and got the job because I was a Mum and also because the families child would grow up with another child which they saw as a bonus. I don’t work full time now and do have back up childcare, I try not to take my own children all the time. Money wise I get £3 per hour less for the job I can take my child to.

If I was employing a nwoc I would expect you to take a pay cut.

wizzywig Sat 11-Nov-17 18:43:17

I had a nwoc. she put my child in danger as she felt she had to respond/ react to her own child crying (whilst she was in her car seat). In the meantime my own son walked out of a soft play. Employed another nwoc, she decided she couldnt be a nanny my kids unless i was there to help her. Third nwoc lets her kids draw on my walls and curtains and thinks all kids do that. Mine dont. Ill never employ a nwoc ever again.

AnaWinter Sat 11-Nov-17 18:48:50

I wouldn’t but I know some people who do. Generally the nannies have been with the family for years prior to having a baby. I think a 30 - 40% discount is fair as a nanny share is usually 50/50.

Duckstar Sat 11-Nov-17 18:50:05

I wouldn’t have employed a nanny who wanted to bring her own child to work. I have 3 DC and so I think a Nanny has her hands full with just mine!

I also need reliability and would be worried a NWOC may need off time when their child is ill/wouldn’t want to bring theirs to work if mine were ill.

A friend also had a bad experience with NWOC, there were issues with breakages etc.

Catlovingmama Sat 11-Nov-17 19:00:28

I would have liked to employ an nwoc, with a discount, but never found the right fit so used nanny without own child.

I did a trial with an nwoc. She was great but I wasn't sure after the trial as I could see our approaches were v different and eg she left her dd to cry which I wouldn't do, so I couldn't see her using the very child-centred sling etc approach I wanted while parenting her dd as she wanted. I think she felt the same as she was doing two trials and she took the other job - fair enough!

A friend also had an nwoc with a high need child (nwoc's child). My friend's dd is very placid. At groups etc it did look as though the nanny's own dd was getting more attention but she (the charge)was happy because she is a very chilled baby. And she is an only so it gave her company.

I think it totally depends on nanny skills/personality, how easy the kids are and how compatible the parenting styles are.

Melabela10 Sun 12-Nov-17 10:31:16

NWOC are not very common but there is still a market it. you need to offer at least 40% discount though. low cost is the main reason why people would employe NWOC

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 12-Nov-17 16:30:25

There are many nwoc and many find jobs easily

40% is too low. It isn't a share. The nanny doesn't get to decide things the way 2 employers of a share does

Yes sometimes it doesn't work tho sounds like you have been very unlikely with 3nwoc going wrong

Whatever the nanny says Obv the will always pick up their own child first is both are crying - or tend to them first

Nwoc work well when families children are rising 4's + and at school but need before /after /holiday care

olympicsrock Sun 12-Nov-17 16:39:45

I had NWoC. When looking after both children (one each) she got £6.66 and for just mine £10 an hour. It worked very well while they were both preschoolers but once hers went to school, my son was spent a lot of time doing school runs and life was unevenly focused on her daughter and her needs. I don’t think I would do it again to be honest.

SuperDuperJezebel Sun 12-Nov-17 19:16:53

This is so depressing, I feel bloody fortune I've even got a job by the sounds of it. Glad not to be entirely written off as unprofessional now that I've given birth! I feel TBH that it makes me a better nanny. And I'm grateful by how kind my employers are, and my charges are, to my little girl and always do the best I possibly can for them. Agree that a 40% payout is ridiculous, I would barely be making minimum wage, and it's not a share. I call no shots. If one of the kids is home sick, my baby misses out on whatever classes I have booked it plans I've made, and that's fine because I'm being paid for my availability, but she definitely comes last in the arrangement.

Fran03 Sun 12-Nov-17 22:00:20

wow what on earth do these people who hire nannies do when they have more than 1 child, who do they attend to first? Or is that the nannies job to figure out not Mummy's? You will be lucky to get any decent nanny to work for you as you sound like awful employers. And I hope your own employers have far more sympathy for you when you have to take a day off work due to a sick child, nothing like supporting fellow Mums and women in work after a child

Skatingmama Sun 12-Nov-17 22:11:29

Fran, I don't really undestand your comment. I have tried to hire an nwoc myself. Lots of nanny employers like them.

You will see the comment above about perceived issues with nwoc is from Blondes who I believe is herself a nanny with dc. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Blondes!

Skatingmama Sun 12-Nov-17 22:12:46

And part of the reason many have nannies even though a rolls Royce childcare option cost wise is that nannies often look after dc when ill where nurseries won't, so it reduces mother's absences.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 12-Nov-17 22:44:34

Indeed @skating. I am finally a mummy smile

Tho I rarely work as a nanny now - was one for 25yrs - I went into maternity and night with newborns about 7yrs ago. Which fits in perfectly with my bubs as she's at home asleep with daddy and I go to work

Tho have many friends who are nwoc and they are grateful to take their child with them BUT one has to wake her baby 6ish to get to work at 7am and isn't home till almost 8pm

Their child does get ignored at times as dealing with their charges

But in the end they are lucky to be with their own child all day - not pay childcare costs and they know that

Skatingmama Sun 12-Nov-17 22:53:48

That sounds like a nice set up for you work wise Blondes! So pleased I am right and you now have your own family smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now