Talk

Advanced search

Birthday and Christmas gifts - how much?

(10 Posts)
MonkeyJumping Wed 01-Nov-17 20:02:20

Is there a norm on how much you spend on your nanny's birthday or Christmas gift?

My SIL says people normally give their nanny cash for gifts (plus a token box of chocs or something), and that the norm is roughly one week's post-tax salary for each gift.

We want to keep our nanny happy so if that's the usual expected amount we will give it to her, but it feels like a lot!

NannyR Wed 01-Nov-17 20:10:08

I've been a nanny for over twenty years and never received a bonus like that. In the job I'm in at the moment for my birthday I get some vouchers (£50), a huge bunch of flowers and they buy me a cake to celebrate with the children. Christmas is usually some nice toiletries and more vouchers (around £20).

nannynick Wed 01-Nov-17 20:15:59

I have received a bonus like that, I have also received smaller things - including things made by the children plus some vouchers.
Sometimes it is easiest to just ask your nanny what sort of thing they like... as you may not know what they do and do not like. May as well get them something they want.

MonkeyJumping Wed 01-Nov-17 20:18:01

Thanks for replies - SIL is from a very wealthy background and has a lot of posh friends so I did think she may be at the top end of the scale! I just don't want to offend or upset my nanny if she has any expectations of the value of gifts as we want to keep her happy.

HanarCantWearSweaters Wed 01-Nov-17 20:18:08

This job I get £500 Christmas bonus and a gift on my birthday ~£150. Last job I had toiletries for both. It varies between jobs I think.
I love my Christmas bonus, it always cheers up December and my birthday gifts are always very thoughtful and personal, my employer knows me well.

UnicornRainbowColours Thu 02-Nov-17 14:33:58

My previous bosses got me John Lewis vouchers as I had just bought a flat. I found that very kind.

My new bosses gave me a bottle of champagne which was very generous.

I don’t except a gift at all but it’s ncie to receive something that has had thought put into it as it makes you feel really appreciated. For example I was telling my Current boss I really liek the cow shed and get massages and facial there sometimes and for my birthday I got cowshed products. It’s the small things.

TheClacksAreDown Thu 02-Nov-17 14:42:25

I think you need to draw the distinction between a bonus and a personal gift. We pay an annual bonus which we pay at Christmas time through payroll. We also buy her a Christmas present.

For the Christmas and Birthday presents we typically spend £50 on her plus a small £5-10 gift the kids pick out.

MonkeyJumping Thu 02-Nov-17 19:18:52

I hadn't really thought about the distinction between bonus and gift - does it matter? If we give her £500 through payroll then they deduct the tax so can I just give her the cash as a gift? Or is there some kind of rule against that? Thinking back to my previous jobs I always got vouchers at Christmas which didn't go through payroll but I don't know how the business accounted for them.

livingthegoodlife Thu 16-Nov-17 20:19:41

im going with £50 for her birthday and £100 for christmas, cash with a physical gift too. my nanny is part time though. i guess id give about double that for full time.

Yerazig Thu 16-Nov-17 20:32:55

There’s definitely no norm I’ve been given a nice bag a box of chocolate, where as some have been given a holiday to Caribbean £5000 bonus etc. Definitely no norm to it all. For me personally I definitely appreciate a voucher and a nice thoughtful gift.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now