Talk

Advanced search

Can students claim childcare grant for a nanny?

(3 Posts)
Rubii Wed 01-Nov-17 09:31:12

Hi everyone,

I'm a full time student at uni in England. I've recently separated from my husband (the kids dad) and need to sort out childcare for my children asap as before this the children's dad was looking after them.

I have someone who is willing to become a nanny, so undertake the first aid, dbs, ofsted registration, get insurance and do the core skills course.
I would need her for around 30-35 hours hours a week term time and slightly more during school holidays. I believe a nanny is usually classed as employed and not self employed? Is this correct? She will only be working for me.

My main concern is if I would be eligible for help towards the childcare costs from Student Finance. I have looked on the Student Finance guidelines and it says provided the childcarer is Ofsted registered, then you are eligible for the childcare grant.

Has anyone claimed the childcare element from Student Finance for a nanny?

Any help or info would be much appreciated as I don't want her to pay for dbs, first aid,
Ofsted registration, insurance and the core skills course only to find I can't get help through student finance and so can't employ her.

nannynick Wed 01-Nov-17 20:12:37

>I'm a full time student at uni in England. I have someone who is willing to become a nanny, so undertake the first aid, dbs, ofsted registration, get insurance and do the core skills course.

Great. How long will that take them? Ofsted aim to process registrations in 12 weeks. It can be quicker, it can take longer.
Before applying your nanny needs to have an Enhanced DBS check, which can take a few days to a few months.

>I would need her for around 30-35 hours hours a week term time and slightly more during school holidays. I believe a nanny is usually classed as employed and not self employed? Is this correct?

Yes, you are deciding the hours, you are able to say what they do. You can get assistance for doing the payroll from a nanny payroll provider. This factsheet (pdf)is a useful read about your employer responsibilities.

>My main concern is if I would be eligible for help towards the childcare costs from Student Finance.

Yes, I believe you can claim from Student Finance but there is a max claim amount. See: www.gov.uk/childcare-grant/what-youll-get
Had a quick search ( www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/uk-full-time/apply-ccg/year-1718 )and found a claim form... media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1718/ft/sfe_ccg1_form_1718_d.pdf

>Has anyone claimed the childcare element from Student Finance for a nanny?

I haven't so would be interested in knowing if anyone has and hearing from nannies who have worked for students claiming childcare grant - when is payment made? A nanny is typically paid monthly or weekly, so is the grant provided in advance, or only part way through a term?

When looking at your childcare costs, see if you can include the cost of payroll admin (typically around £230 a year).

When looking at your budget for nannies salary, do remember to keep in mind that you will have Employers National Insurance to pay, plus there is an Employers Pension Contribution. Agree a gross salary with your nanny... then you will deduct Income Tax, employee National Insurance and employee Pension contribution from her wage.

Some calculators to help:
NannyTax: Salary & Pension Calculator
NannyPaye: Tax calculator
NannyPaye: Pension contribution calculator
NannyPaye: Mileage rate calculator - Useful if you nanny will use their car to transport your children to/from school/pre-school.

Rubii Wed 01-Nov-17 21:43:18

Hi

Many thanks for your reply and your very much appreciated advice.

I spoke to Student Finance today who advised as long as the childcarer is Ofsted registered, I will be eligible for the childcare grant.

As I need immediate childcare, I will place my son in full time nursery. He currently gets 15 hours free, so will need to pay the for the 15 hours per week. SFE confirmed today they will backdate any payments I've made.

I realise it can take a while for the person to get all the necessary training required. She is currently looking at booking the first aid training and Core Skills course.

Can you advise how she needs to apply for her DBS check? Is this done when she applied to register with Ofsted? I recently had a DBS check done for myself (2 weeks ago), to work with children and this was completed the very next day. And I received the certificate within 5 working days. I hope this herd will be as quick.

You mentioned including the cost of payroll admin. Is that using a service like Nannytax or Nannypaye?

Have you any experience of using either?

Nannytax offer Nannytax Payroll Service, Employers Liability Insurance and Workplace Pension for £444.
Is this a good package? Do I need all these services?

Nannypaye is £179.99 plus £60 for their pension service.

I'm considering offering a gross hourly rate of £10 per hour.
How does the salary payment work? Do I pay the nanny, and when doing so calculate the tax and NI due and pay her the net amount?
Or will the payroll service I use calculate that for me and pay the nanny?

I'm also a bit confused by the Employers insurance. Do I pay this yearly to HMRC?
Can I include this in my childcare costs when applying for childcare grant?

Can I also include the cost of payroll admin in my childcare costs when applying for childcare grant?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to get my head round everything so I go into this with my eyes wide open and with all the necessary information.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now