Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Part time nanny holidays??

(10 Posts)
Jellyloveforever Sun 29-Oct-17 20:02:09

Hi, posted this in AIBU but thought here might be a better place for it!!!
I work as a before and after school nanny to a family with 3 kids, youngest is a baby.
I do have several years experience with children, working in different childcare settings, as well as in a similar nanny role while I was studying previously. The family I work for now are lovely, and have been nothing but decent but often I feel they don't really value this experience IFYSM especially as the dad is often there while I'm working and I feel a bit micromanaged. He is very nice but I find it frustrating!
My question is: what would most people expect to happen re holidays in such a job. I completely forgot about half term, aw my uni doesn't have one. When I remembered (last week, so a week before the break) and mentioned it to the mum to see if they needed any extra hours done, she said they didn't need me all week. In reality I think this is ok with me as I have a few days I want to take after Christmas, so would appreciate flexibility on both sides. However I'd like to hear from nannies/ parents who use childcare what the norm would be here, as I don't want to appear cheeky in looking for days off. Also I felt a bit shocked to be told without warning of a week off without pay, so was wondering if I'm being unreasonable on that?

I don't have a contract, and am not paying any tax as it's so few hours and falls below the threshold so maybe it's just how these things go . The family are genuinely lovely, so maybe it's me!

Ragusa Sun 29-Oct-17 20:07:49

You are not being unreasonable in the slightest. What's in your contract about holidays?

Ragusa Sun 29-Oct-17 20:11:08

I'm so sorry, I see quite clearly you have no contract! It slipped off the bottom of my screen. blush Surely regardless of tax your employer should be paying NI though?

Ragusa Sun 29-Oct-17 20:18:32

If you are earning more than 150 quid a week or so then your employer should be paying NI.

This all sounds like quite a casual arrangement which may be fine all round if that is what you both prefer. But the benefit of a contract is that usually it sets out who gets to determine holidays and with how much notice. Imagine the tables were turned: "Oh, I'm sorry, nooooooooooooooo, I won'the be working next week as I am going to a festival/ religious celebration/ on my annual trip to my homeland. Childcare, you say?? Oh dear! Sory about that old chap, you')ll just have to make do next week". Yet it is reasonable to deprive you of expected income for a week....

parietal Sun 29-Oct-17 20:19:23

Your employer should still be paying tax & you should have a contract and holiday pay etc. Look up he nanytax website & they have info on contracts & pay etc. Your employer should sign up to nannytax (or similar) and do everything properly.

Jellyloveforever Sun 29-Oct-17 21:09:08

ragusa, that is kind of how I felt but didn't know if I was BU! In reality, I have my student loan so am not totally dependent on this income, but I just felt really put out to be told; we don't need you next week.
I also was a bit put out that I had to ask, if I hadn't said anything when were they planning to tell me?
Has anyone any tips for how to broach this kind of thing without upsetting anyone? They are truly very nice, but reading these responses has made me realise I do need to stand up for myself a bit

nannynick Mon 30-Oct-17 06:58:10

In the UK all employees are entitled to Statutory Holiday Pay, so regardless of the taxation situation if you are not deciding when you work, you are obligated to work, you don’t have control, then you are most likely an employee under employment law and a contract exists between you and the family (verbal plus any emails/texts).

Not clear if you are working term time only or all year round. With term time only there are usually restrictions on when holiday can be taken, so holiday is generally taken during school holidays. The formula for calculating Statutory holiday entitlement in that situation is 12.07% of time worked.

So if you worked 15 hours per week for 38 weeks per year that is 570 hours per year. 12.07% is 68.8 hours. So pay would be for 570+68.8 hours.

If you work all year round, you do a similar calculation to find the total hours worked per year before deducting any holiday. Then the holiday percentage is 10.77%

ACAS has a booklet on their website about calculating holiday entitlement.

Being flexible in when you take holiday is great, you employer can dictate all of it but in general employers let an employee choose some of it.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 31-Oct-17 12:23:14

It sound like ypu’re more of a babysitter than a nanny?

Jellyloveforever Tue 31-Oct-17 23:47:34

Thanks for all that indo*nannynick*, super helpful! drink, what makes a person a babysitter vs a nanny? I have a childcare qualification and several years experience.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 01-Nov-17 20:42:12

The type of service you provide them. We’ve had fairly regular babysitters from an agency who were nannies, teachers, etc. It’s not a comment on your qualifications. It’s juat your situation is that they people who pay don’t seem to think they employ you, just use your services as and when they need it. Plus no contract

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now