Talk

Advanced search

After school nanny duties/norms?

(23 Posts)
Boomerangadang Sat 23-Sep-17 03:16:40

Hi there

Transitioning soon from full days to after school only with my nanny (she has scored a new daytime job so works much better for us too). Just want to check what's reasonable as we negotiate the revised duties / expectations.

Can find lots of info from agencies on full day standards but part time harder. Appreciate any gentle tips - hope this doesn't open hornets' nest..!

Hours will be 3-6pm weekdays. Clearly needs to involve pick up, taking home (short walk), preparing dinner, overseeing homework, un/packing school bags and maybe kicking off bath time if time allows.

Seems realistic to reduce former light housework expectations but not totally sure to what extent? Maybe forget laundry and changing kids' bedsheets, Maybe just limit to keeping kitchen / living room tidy. Dishwasher emptying only if time and ignoring bins etc?

We have differing opinions on meals - my feel is they'd no longer be included as this is a 3-hour job and what grown up eats at 5pm anyway. But tea / coffee / snacks of course provided. She is not happy with this as I think her hope was she could continue to eat with the kids but they take aaaages so my thoughts were that this time could be better used doing things, which I know other nannies seem to happily do. Thoughts?

If just working term time, is it still 20 days paid leave across the year and all bank holidays - presume so? Or is this optional as I understand some nannies work on a more standard freelance basis of paid only for hours worked. (We have admittedly already committed to pay holiday pay).

Anything else I might be missing? Clearly a psychological shift for both of us so want to get the balance right! Maybe it's all down to us to figure out our comfort zones but any norms would be really handy.

Thanks!!

Wildaboutoscar Sat 23-Sep-17 06:10:51

Light housework - nannies usually only tidy up mess they have made and do child related chores. Hovering living room wouldn't be included - but maybe your nanny has been happy to do other chores.
If she is cooking tea and overseeing homework there might not be time for other chores. Does depend on children and amount of homework - I have cared for children who each needed to read to me for 30 minutes plus help with worksheets spellings every evening. Other children less homework. Might be possible to put a wash on after school - PE kit - uniforms etc. Maybe empty washing machine - tumble/hang up.

Eating with children - she finishes at 6 pm - does she travel far? If she is working before 3 pm and not getting home to 7 pm then might be reasonable to want to eat. Could she bring sandwiches ?

Are you asking her to come on set days or is it ad hoc. Could she say she is busy / can't make a day. Could she send another nanny?
If the answer to above is no then you are employing her she can't be self employed.
Legally she is entitled to holiday pay, sick pay, maternity pay and pension.
It will be pro rata; this site is useful for calculating amount due.
www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights

ApplesTheHare Sat 23-Sep-17 06:25:03

All sounds fairly reasonable and I'd let her eat with the kids. After years of doing it, she'll probably be very used to eating early and it's good for kids to have a sit down meal and a bit of adult conversation about their day.

nannynick Sat 23-Sep-17 07:27:13

Holiday entitlement - if not able to take holiday during term time.

3 hours per day, 5 days per week = 15 hours per week

Term time = 39 weeks (you will need to check what your actual term time lengths are and total them for the year).

15 x 39 = 585 working hours per year.

Holiday @ 12.07% = 70.61 hours

Total pay would be for 585+70.61 hours = 655.61

The most accurate way to do this is to calculate the total number of working hours in this academic year, not just saying each week is five days. Some may well be three or four day weeks due to school holiday/INSET days occurring at beginning or end of a week.

Boomerangadang Sat 23-Sep-17 09:47:13

Thanks all - really helpful!

Yup for tidying, I meant just mess / clutter made (by her and kids during her shift that is). Not tidying up after us. And we've never expected hoovering. So that sounds fair. As does holiday package.

We have already agreed to not include laundry as she's adamant she won't have time to even put a load on let alone hang it up. Nor tidying the kids' rooms. So I'm focusing on duties being providing food, overseeing homework, keeping areas used tidy.

Food for her is trickier - she lives very near and will have a break between her day job and pick up when I think it's reasonable to think she could eat / rest then. And it's not just the eating she wants but the actual provision of food too.

So we are not talking a quick sandwich of her own for sustainance, which would be totally fine for me, but a full sit-down meal as a perk of the job financially and she's a good eater so it does add up and would take away even more from what she could reasonably do - the duties agreed above are based on without dinner as it is.

I used to offer meals and ask for her to eat with the kids for the full time role but for just a 3-hour shift it feels like too much time and budget to accommodate. I can't think of any other 3-hr job that that would include food and time to eat it - understanding of course that eating with kids isn't always a breeze either... Just interested if others have had similar challenge here?

southeastlondonmum Sat 23-Sep-17 12:30:23

After school nanny employed here. It's a new starter- our beloved nanny left us earlier in the year for more full time work as my youngest transitioning to school and we didn't need the hours.
We are still bedding in. She's fine but there is definitely time to put a wash on (I'm around following an operation). The good thing would also bug me. A full meal is a massive benefit and not necessary. I suppose you need to balance how much you want to keep her

Boomerangadang Sat 23-Sep-17 13:06:11

Appreciate the response - thanks! Yes sounds like we are aligned too. I just trawled some after school nanny job ad - private and agency - and none provide food and instead specify the likes of 'prepare and serve'. Don't want it to an awkward deal breaker but think I do need to stick to my guns on that then as it also has knock on effect with what can be done duty wise (eg if the kids push beans round the plate for an hour) so could cause downward spiral otherwise. Wish me luck!

cakesandphotos Sat 23-Sep-17 13:10:17

I work as both an all day and an after school
Nanny. Bearing in mind that I would normally prepare a meal (for 4 kids) in the afternoon while the babies are sleeping, she may not have time to prepare a full meal from scratch as well as everything else. My after school job, either the kids eat with their parents when they get home (they are older, 9 & 11) or there is something pre prepared in the fridge that I heat up

2014newme Sat 23-Sep-17 13:13:16

Much nicer for your dd to eat with an adult than eat by herself whilst nanny sorts the washing

southeastlondonmum Sat 23-Sep-17 13:32:03

Food not good but think you get the gist!
Yes it's nice for the children to have company while they eat. But it's also nice for the OP to come home to a sorted house and a load of washing, I have after school nanny three days a week, on days I'm there I generally sit down with a drink and chat for a bit and then sort out washing or tidy up while still talking. I think she's pushing it a bit OP

Boomerangadang Sat 23-Sep-17 13:53:50

Agreed! And yes we are not talking courdon bleue - already agreed to her suggestion of a rolling weekly menu with super quick options like pasta salad with ham (not even cooked proteins which would be my preference) and beans on toast to limit cooking time. My hopes is she is worrying and will relax into it on time and maybe then see potential to do more as yes lots of push back at the mo on what's feasible. Big shift to her from full day's pace too. And yes I want to keep her so am probably flexing more than others might. We'all see...

Wildaboutoscar Sat 23-Sep-17 18:43:04

So 3 to 6 pm
Children finish school 3.30 pm
Home 3.50
Snack and drink
4.10 homework x 30 minutes - - -
reading to nanny
4.40 quick go to loo, put washing on or empty and tumble dry.
5 -6 pm prepare , serve and clean up dinner.
Maybe another 10 minutes while children are eating - but 30 minutes max for chores
So trip to park , someone at door etc not a lot of time.

Pengggwn Sun 24-Sep-17 20:08:07

I see your point about the food budget but I don't think it should be a choice between her spending time eating with the kids and doing chores not related to the children, i.e. washing - that isn't really a nanny's role. I would let her eat with the children, as it's far better for them to have a sit down meal with conversation and talking about their day. I wouldn't make a deal breaker out of it either, OP.

Audreyhelp Sun 24-Sep-17 21:50:08

I am a nanny and this is the time of day that flies by without getting much done other than childcare . I think it’s cheeky to expect food.
But also think you are very lucky to get her as I get offered after school hours all the time . Not many nannies like these hours .

BusyMum1978 Thu 28-Sep-17 00:58:55

Part time nannies are hard to come by. If you are happy with her and trust her with your children then I think eating with them is a small concession. She would find another after school role in a heartbeat. My previous nanny used to eat with my children and the time was so valuable for them to talk about their day. My current nanny doesn't, I wish she would. As far as chores, I don't think you can expect anything other than food preparation and tidied, and the children cared for.

JoJoSM2 Thu 28-Sep-17 21:41:16

Do our have a table in the kitchen? Proper food could be cooked whilst the children are doing homework. They might need some help but don't need someone over their head micromanaging every second of it. I think 3h should be plenty to put the children's laundry on too unless there are many after school clubs and play dates etc that would mean the nanny is barely at home.

I also don't think that providing a meal is a reasonable expectation for 3h in the afternoon. If you're being nice, you could offer a piece of fruit or a piece of toast etc for a little snack for her. I wouldn't apply chatting over dinner to a part-time nanny. She'll probably have a chat with them on the way back or just casually and they will chat to you when you're back.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 28-Sep-17 22:29:05

So she's your nanny already. Assume you are happy with her

Is it such a big deal for her to have tea with the kids ?

I rarely eat with the kids as like to eat with my partner at home but would hate to think any employer begrudged feeding me

Tho always sit down with them and talk about Day

As after school job they are Obv over 4/5 so yes she should be able to put on a load of washing or you put on in morning and her take out and hang / and know kids be ok left 'alone'

Takes 5/10 mins

3hrs isn't a lot to do stuff esp by the time home - tea - homework so won't have time to tidy up place - apart from mess she makes

Wildaboutoscar Fri 29-Sep-17 11:09:15

' They might need some help but don't need someone over their head micromanaging every second of it'
I had twins at private school year 1-2 and they both had to read each night for 30 minutes. No chopping veg wouldn't work - listening to children read is active listening - you need to help prompt to sound out words they struggle with , ask questions to check comprehension - listening to children read shouldn't be like listening to the radio. The twin also had a second piece of work each night - work sheet , music practice etc - and I agree I used to set this up and do the dinner. 3-6 taking off time traveling home from school is just 2 1/2 hours. Time to put a wash on or tumble dry but no time for housework .

jkdnanny Sat 07-Oct-17 11:01:19

I think some of it could be because she wants actual time with the kidstoo, not just picking them up, being the homework nag and making sure they eat alongside chores.
Would it be poss for you to put a load of laundry on first thing and then the nanny hang it up or put in tumble dryer. Or maybe you do the actual washing/drying in the evenings and she can fold the next day. If the kids are school aged they are getting old enough to help with the putting the clothes away anyway.

RandomMess Sat 07-Oct-17 11:07:31

Give her the option of eating the same meal as the DC (so you in control of rolling menu) but that you will require payment of £ per meal? I wonder if she doesn't want the hassle of getting home after 6 and having to cook again?

RandomMess Sat 07-Oct-17 11:08:32

Ask her to put a was on towards end of her shift and it will finish when you are back so doesn't get creased etc

RenaissanceBunny Thu 19-Oct-17 03:35:25

I after school nanny. I'm not an official nanny though - a student job which kind of grew. So a usual day is pick up at 3, park until 3.20, home by 3.35, snack and tv until 4 while I put on a load of tumble drying do breakfast dishes sort out what is for dinner, homework and violin until 4.30/4.45, more tv or lego until 5 while I sort dinner (usually something quick like a ready meal or left overs) and possibly run a hand vacuum round, dinner 5-5.30 during which I read to the child as it is lonely to eat dinner alone (I also fold laundry during this time), 5.30 onward check bag is ready for the next day and then play with the child. I do live a little way away and I am hungry by the time I leave at 6.30ish but if I am particularly starving I can always have a bit of fruit or a slice of toast when I'm there and I always have a glass of water when the child is eating. Getting home at 7.15 or so does mean I often can't be bothered to cook again but I batch cook at weekends or just have a ready meal, like most people who work long hours.

junebirthdaygirl Thu 19-Oct-17 04:56:38

I think you ahould let her eat with the children. The gains for them will outweigh the cost. As you cant have family meals together midweek she can chat through their day picking up on any issues from school. She can discuss stuff they have learnt, model good table manners, model eating and enjoying vegetables , encourage them to listen to each other..all benefits of eating together. Since she knows them well this will be a time of comfort for them after a long day in school.As dinner will probably be stuff like cottage pue the extra portion isn't much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now