Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Live in nannies in London?

(11 Posts)
CoxsOrangePippin Thu 21-Sep-17 20:38:09

Hello,
We are thinking about childcare for our DS when DH and I are both back at work. DS will be 9 months. We hope to move house to somewhere with an extra bedroom, which means live-in childcare becomes possible. I really like that idea. We had au pairs and nannies when DB and I were little smile

How much does a live in nanny cost in London? We would be in a pleasant zone 4 suburb. Would a nanny expect/require his/her own bathroom? They would have a good size double room.

selly24 Thu 21-Sep-17 23:42:30

Own bedroom and bathroom is standard. Sharing with a child or (less attractive) the family bathroom at a stretch, but you might struggle to attract a nanny of a high calibre...

selly24 Thu 21-Sep-17 23:45:00

Cost wise on a standard week 7 to 7 Inc 2x weekday babysits, cost to you the employer would be from around 480 to 780gbp a week.

CoxsOrangePippin Fri 22-Sep-17 09:00:32

Thanks Selly

CoxsOrangePippin Fri 22-Sep-17 09:02:24

Interesting those are longer hours than I thought would be standard. I was figuring 8-6 and no evenings.

selly24 Tue 26-Sep-17 22:56:56

8-6 without babysitting would be a dream job! If you pay Market rates I doubt you would have a problem finding someone great.

CoxsOrangePippin Sun 01-Oct-17 19:45:16

@selly24 just saw your reply, that is encouraging!

Popskipiekin Sun 01-Oct-17 19:54:42

Our first live-in nanny (also london, edge of zone 2) has just started with us. Paying smack in the middle of the cost to employer bracket quoted above. Live-in nannies will expect to be asked to do week night babysitting and also slightly longer hours than live out. We have 7.30-6.30 - I don't need to leave until 8 and one of us is often back by 6, but this gives me the flexibility to go in earlier if needs be, plus our nanny has a paid half hour at the end of her day to tidy up, hang up washing etc, after we come back. Works well and gives us a chance to debrief each other, again during her paid time which I feel is important. I would give yourself the leeway by lengthening the hours slightly and including babysitting - you don't have to use it!

And her own bathroom is so important if you can manage it - especially at weekends when she will probably want to keep out of your way and having to wait for the family bathroom may make her uncomfortable.

Callaird Tue 03-Oct-17 22:20:53

As a nanny, I agree with popskipiekin, have longer hours in the contract, it's so much nicer to finish 'early' on occasion than to finish late for a few days a week when your boss is snowed under at work, even if this only happens 1 or 2 weeks every 12.

My contract is 7:45 to 7:30. My bosses leave at 8am and MB is back 3 or 4 time a week by 6:30 and I am finished, I might potter around for another 20-30 minutes finishing off tidy up or sorting laundry or days like today when I have (my charge's) a cold, I left almost as soon as she was home. I am working until 7:30 tomorrow and Thursday as MB has work stuff that will keep her out late but DB will be home and Friday grandparents are coming so I am finishing as soon as they've arrived (well after a cursory chat!) charges tea will be in the fridge with instructions for them to bung in the oven.

CoxsOrangePippin Tue 10-Oct-17 09:43:22

Thank you! You’re right that an unexpected early finish is much nicer than a late one

Callaird Tue 10-Oct-17 10:53:41

I would also say please try to remember to let your nanny know as soon as you know that you are going to be late home. If you are due home at 6pm don't text then to let your nanny know! If you know you are not going to get your train or are stuck in traffict let nanny know straight away!

If my MB texts at 5:30 and says leaving the office now, will be 10 minutes late, that's fine, I can forewarn my charge and text friends. If she texts at 6:30 and says she's going to be 10 minutes late, it's very frustrating! I have a 4 year old saying 'where's mummy?' 'Mummy said she is going to do bath time tonight, I don't want you to do it!' Whilst I'm trying to rearrange my evening plans.

(My MB is very good! Usually let's me know asap, she texts me under the table in a meeting to say it's gone horribky wrong and will over run and then tells me that she'll make up for it and she'll be home early on Friday! Even though I am contracted until 7:30)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now