Talk

Advanced search

Duties while children at nursery

(27 Posts)
MrsSpiderman Fri 01-Sep-17 06:41:23

I'm looking for opinions here. We have a nanny four days a week. In October, our youngest will start nursery on 2 out of 4 of those days, and will be there until 1pm. The oldest is at school. Taking into account school runs, our nanny will have 3.5 hours at home twice a week. When the youngest gets home from nursery he will sleep for 1-2 hours.

Our nanny already does the kids washing, and irons a small amount of school uniform. I would really like to ask her to do the washing for me and my partner too, and to iron a few items a week. I would only ask for this during term time when she is without the children for 7 hours a week.

Any thoughts or experience of similar situations?

Crumbs1 Fri 01-Sep-17 06:49:22

Depends on your relationship. Technically professional nannies only do nursery related chores not general housekeeping.
Our last nanny was, however, very happy to swop the washing around, make the children's beds and empty the dishwasher.
Speak to her and see how she feels.

Looneytune253 Fri 01-Sep-17 06:50:58

Nooooo I wouldn't ask her to do yours. Just maybe sit her down and ask what she may like to do with her time.

ponderingprobably Fri 01-Sep-17 07:39:15

Organise children's art into scrapbooks, frames. Keep up with getting new books to read with them. Plan craft activities. Look at organising / supporting music or sport lessons. Reorganise their rooms / playroom. Organise children's play equipment in outdoor space. Organising play dates,

Callaird Fri 01-Sep-17 07:50:34

I wouldn't do my employers washing or ironing. I am happy to take washing out of washing machine and hang or tumble dry, I'll also fold it and put it in their room. I would not go through my employers dirty laundry, the thought of it turns my stomach. I've had nanny friends who have had very bad experiences with employers laundry! I also wouldn't do household cleaning, I will clean my charges bedroom and bathroom, tidy and Hoover his playroom and keep the kitchen clean and tidy, we don't use the sitting room so wouldn't tidy/Hoover that either but would if we used it.

I will do anything concerned with the child/ren. My charge starts nursery on Monday, 5 mornings a week, still naps for an hour or so. I will do all normal nursery duties. Food plan and shop for the family, prep meals for employers. Sort clothes and store anything out grown. Mend anything that can be mended. Take/collect dry cleaning. Any errands my employer might need, post office, pick up incidentals, take car to garage or car wash. I will book any household tradespersons, gardener.

If you need your nanny to be there if there is a problem at school, inset day, illness, injury, etc., you can ask her to do anything you want but she doesn't have to agree!

MrsSpiderman Fri 01-Sep-17 09:08:20

Thanks for the feedback. Understand re dirty washing, but it would be so helpful to have someone get clean washing out the machine while I am at work. We have a good relationship and I can easily talk to her about what she is willing to do but I want to get a sense of what is fair because she is very helpful and wants to please, so is likely to agree.

JaimesGoldenHand Fri 01-Sep-17 09:15:33

Whenever I want to ask anything like this, I put it in a letter or email and explain that it's not about being overly formal but it's so she has a chance to read it and think about it at her leisure and not feel pressured into answering straight away or saying yes because she doesn't want to let me down face to face. This also helps me to think about exactly what it is I'm asking and explain it clearly and also explain any associated change in hours/pay.

This also means we have it in writing going forward - mainly to protect her from scope creep.

LittleBearPad Fri 01-Sep-17 09:20:07

I see where you're coming from OP but dirty laundry would be cheeky I think. Emptying clean out of the washing machine or moving it to the tumble dryer may be ok.

Batch cooking for kids, meal planning, online food order, sorting clothes/toys that are grown out etc are fine I think as they relate to the kids.

Intereeyinf thread though as I will have the same issue in the next 18 months.

loveka Fri 01-Sep-17 09:26:27

20 years on I still have flashbacks to having to pick my employers dirty knickers out of her laundry basket. I felt like a servant. I agreed to do it, but really found that part of the job distasteful.

MrsJoyOdell Fri 01-Sep-17 09:36:27

I hated it when our nanny did our washing - I specifically asked her not to but she ignored me and bloody did it anyway. It was so violating. I doubt you'd like it really in practice. She was shit all round though to be honest.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 01-Sep-17 16:43:05

As others have said - no to rummaging Theo wash bin and putting dirty washing on

Did it years ago in a weeks temp job and still have vivid memories of the mums period stained knickers and dad white pants with skid marks on them

Can't rem the names of the children tho

But

Have no problem in taking clean wet washing out of machine and hanging it. But hate ironing

Happy to batch cook and even make tea for you

Often read on nanny sites that younger nannies object to cooking and employers eating it

Hello - its food brought with their money cooked in time they are paying you - don't see the problem

Again happy to do errands - dry cleaners - garage etc

ponderingprobably Fri 01-Sep-17 16:56:50

But if you are employing a nanny I cannot see why you wouldn't want to use their child development expertise to enrich your children's play and learning further. There is plenty that can be researched and organised.

Yerazig Fri 01-Sep-17 21:14:53

Of course you can ask but most professional nannies would not be happy with what your proposing. I think it's one of those situations that if you want to keep your nanny on full time you may well have to suck it up that she will not want to do your laundry and she will have childfree hours during the week. I had that in a temp job whilst the youngest was in nursery for the afternoon. They wanted me to hoover the house. The mum wasn't pleased that I refused but again it's one of the situations that she just had to suck it up

GrapesAreMyJam Mon 04-Sep-17 17:45:06

I'm a nanny and have been with my current family for nearly three years. I have always done the washing for the entire family (five children and the parents).
The little boy has recently gone to nursery for 3 hours every morning so now I do the ironing and general tidying.
I'm more than happy to do this

GoldilocksAndTheThreePears Mon 04-Sep-17 18:04:00

I went to college, did many courses, built up my CV, worked bad jobs for good references all in order to do my job. Part of that job is knowing it isn't forever, it is very likely to end as the kids grow up or even if a new baby comes along. But part of it isn't picking up my boss's grotty used underwear, or spending hours ironing their bedding and pants.

Never overestimate the amount of 'free' time even if kids are at school/nursery. I had this before, parent expected to stop paying me the second I dropped my charge at nursery and re-start when I picked up- never mind the 40 min walk each way! I've never had a problem removing boss's clothes from dryer for example, or bringing it in if it rains, but I always stipulate I don't do housekeeping as I'm not a housekeeper. I'd never seek employment as one, I know I can care for childrens clothes but adult's stuff requires reading all the labels and going through pockets and my big fear was washing an expensive designer item and shrinking or ruining! I can change kid's beds but ironing a giant king size duvet then changing it, getting all hot and sweaty and swamped because I'm short grin

However- you may have the nanny who would take this all on with no hesitation and be good at it. I just know from my side it's always been said as a - I'm paying you, you're in my home, you may as well do this and this and this as the job I employed you for has changed. I can only speak from my experience though.

UnicornRainbowColours Tue 05-Sep-17 11:50:38

I wouldn't do your washing I only do nursery dutys. Because I have only one toddler ATM I don't get a massive white load so I often put some of the mum's stuff in but this my choice and they would never dream of asking me to do it.

cakesandphotos Wed 06-Sep-17 12:37:36

I do everyone's washing. Most families I know wouldn't separate out children's washing from parents. It's never bothered me. You could always keep pants and bits separate and wash them all together at the end of the week?

When my charge was at nursery in my last job, I changed kids beds once a week, did the ironing, did the weekly shop and generally tidied, hoovered if necessary. As a nanny I like to do what I can so that when the parents are home, they can spend time with their kids rather than dashing around trying to do housework

onlyslightlyinterested Thu 07-Sep-17 20:48:01

I've been a nanny for 27 years, and am more than happy to muck in and do household jobs. I'm not precious, and doing my bosses washing and ironing, doesn't bother me at all.

livingthegoodlife Mon 11-Sep-17 20:09:28

interesting to read these answers, my youngest will start nursery next year but i still want to keep my nanny. But she'll have about 12 hours free a week! There must be something constructive she can do during this time! Laundry seems the obvious thing that needs doing.

olympicsrock Mon 11-Sep-17 20:17:44

Our nanny is happy to do laundry for the whole family. I put the dirty washing on in the morning and she hangs it out folds and puts the childrens' clothes away. She also does jobs like the dishwasher . We have a cleaner and I don't expect her to do other cleaning.

SandraDeesLeatherPants Tue 12-Sep-17 09:27:33

I'm a nanny, I do washing for the family if I see it needs doing- no big deal. I don't see it as beneath me, just something that needs to be done, and my charge's washing is all mixed up with it anyway. I'd far rather shove a load in than puck through it.

I iron for my charge (only school uniform/smart bits) but I really do hate ironing and don't really want to spend my time doing piles of that.

I spend the rest of the time he's at school batch cooking, grocery shopping, keeping up to date with stuff he needs for school and activities, admin for the family such as booking things in and filling in the diary, running errands. Have no problem emptying the dishwasher or taking out the bins, although they do have a housekeeper for 12 hours a week. But since I work from their home, I will just do a few things to keep their home nice for them while I'm there. 'Child care related duties only' seems a bit precious really, I'd always take a flexible approach. Although my last boss did push this a bit....

southeastlondonmum Thu 14-Sep-17 12:06:55

An alternative view. I had a fully qualified nanny with significant experience who was amazing with children but did all our laundry and ironing and cleaning. Laundry and ironing was done with children around but cleaning I paid extra for as most of the time she had a child with her and they were beyond naps. She also used to stick dinner on for kids and make extra for me and DH. The kids loved her and I loved her. When I interviewed her she told me she liked to see herself as a 'SAHP' and so did all the stuff you would expect a parent at home to do. I bloody loved her- we are still in touch - and my heart broke when she left. I still haven't forgiven my DH for taking a planned career break . Other friends have also asked nanny to change roles when childcare reduces with success. After all, there is nothing worse than having a long day at work and then have to pull a long 'home shift' when someone has been able to do this

southeastlondonmum Thu 14-Sep-17 12:08:52

Agree with '*Sandra' .* Childcare only duties relates to a time when nannies worked alongside housekeepers etc. Not often the case for average parent

Beachhutsally Thu 14-Sep-17 14:14:47

There is a difference between a nanny and a housekeeper.
If you want your nanny to do adult laundry and cleaning that is not related to the children, you need to advertise for a nanny-housekeeper role. And btw housekeepers generally get paid more than nannies.
In my area nannies are £9-£12 gross per hour and housekeepers £12-£15 per hour.
Many nannies have qualifications in childcare upto degree level and do the job because they want to work with children - why would they want to clean your home?
Personally I have worked as a nanny housekeeper for school aged children and don't mind doing adult laundry. But I had to get extra insurance as I was not covered by nanny insurance for cleaning and adult laundry.
To be honest I think too many lower income parents employ nannies when they can't afford them. I prefer families with housekeeper, gardener etc employed too as they don't treat you like a babysitter. I find they are more likely to respect your role .

underneaththeash Sun 17-Sep-17 08:12:02

No, I wouldn't ask her to do your laundry - that's not a nanny job.

You can ask her to do any jobs relating to the children.

What she can do is the children's bedrooms; change and wash sheets and vacuum and clean them, clean playrooms if you have them. Sorting out clothes, labelling, taking old clothes to charity shop, buying presents for parties, sorting out old toys and taking ones that aren't played with to the charity shop....there are lots of things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now