Talk

Advanced search

nanny recruitment tips pls (Essex)

(10 Posts)
beargrass Tue 30-May-17 19:37:04

Wise MNers, please tell me what you think about / your experiences were of advertising for, and recruiting a nanny.

Should I go sole agency? What would be a reasonable finder's fee, in your view? How have you paid your nannies once hired? Are there any agencies you wouldn't touch with a barge pole?!

We have a nursery place but I will soon be working further away, and was thinking of condensing my hours and so on, hence the need for advice. Have been considering harmonyathome, and childcare.co.uk. We are in Essex, about 30mins from London

JoJoSM2 Wed 31-May-17 02:37:03

You could go with an agency or just advertise independently. You'll get a lot more candidates applying and might find someone you like the look of. Agencies tend to be a lot more prescriptive when recruiting nannies and they won't send as many across. However, if you advertise independently, you'll need to put more work in yourself to sort through the application.

Melinda76 Wed 31-May-17 08:12:21

I'm a Nanny in Essex, I'm registered with most of the agencies but also advertise myself on various websites. I would try advertising your position yourselves to start with if you are confident with the interview and reference procedures. Then use an agency if you have no luck - there are a couple of good ones here I would recommend smile

OldGuard Wed 31-May-17 08:17:59

We've used both agency and private advertisement - I prefer to do the work myself - I get better matches but it takes loads of time to do properly

I've learnt:

Use a contract
Be brutally honest (as soon as she/he starts they will know anyway)
Don't stinge on pay - better to be generous than nickel and dime
Write out duties and expectations and discuss together even if you think it's obvious
Don't be late home

nannynick Wed 31-May-17 10:46:02

Talk to a payroll provider, understand how pay will work and calculate what you will pay. Stick to a budget. Keep in mind cost of activities, mileage/travel, some food (typically your nanny will eat lunch with your children).

Agree a gross salary.

Recruiting yourself will involve time, you need to sift through applicants and decide who is worth interviewing. An agency does that for you, they should only provide you with a couple of people to interview who match your criteria very well.

beargrass Wed 31-May-17 19:18:46

Thank you everyone. Melinda, which sites do you recommend? We could go either way. We have friends who have been through the recruitment process and so on, or we could use an agency. We are just weighing and costing it all now.

Melinda76 Thu 01-Jun-17 10:20:16

I advertise myself on gumtree, childcare.co.uk, NannyBabysitter.com, care.com these are all good. Most people use childcare.co.uk I think.

I would recommend townandcountrynannies, harmonyathome and nutkinnannies for agencies.

Whereabouts in Essex are you as some of these agencies are only local to me?

OldGuard Thu 01-Jun-17 14:17:35

I've had good success with care.com

OldGuard Thu 01-Jun-17 14:18:15

But word of mouth is best - although also hardest to source - always talk to former employers

livingthegoodlife Thu 08-Jun-17 09:20:40

I advertised on childcare . Co . UK and gumtree. Warning about gumtree is that you get loads of unqualified people who just fancy having a go. It was a bit annoying filtering through the applicants.

However I had one applicant from each website who was really good and it was hard to choose who to go with.

I don't have any experience of agencies because I didn't want to pay a finder's fee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now