Talk

Advanced search

Nanny insurance precluding play dates?

(9 Posts)
Fishlegs Tue 16-May-17 07:00:15

Our lovely nanny has just renewed her nanny insurance (I assume that she means public liability insurance) and has discovered that it states that she is only covered for the children named in the contract (my children).

Now she says she is unable to have any of my children's friends over to play, and a reciprocal lift arrangement to an activity will have to stop. I'm sure she's not pulling a fast one as she was previously very proactive in arranging play dates at our house, and I'd like to think she'd just tell me if there was a problem.

Is there any chance she has misinterpreted the wording or is this a thing?

CormorantDevouringTime Tue 16-May-17 07:05:41

Your car insurance will cover her if, god forbid, she had a crash while giving them a lift, and your household insurance should cover the play date children as visitors to your house.

Fishlegs Tue 16-May-17 07:09:40

She's not currently on our car insurance but her circumstances are changing so she soon will be. So that would cover her?

Thesofaneedsmetositonit Tue 16-May-17 07:21:58

My policy stated the children in my cate weren't allowed on the trampoline. We overcame this issue & the one of no playdates in the home by my employers stating I was permitted too with all liability on my part waivered.

Not sure how it would stand if it ever came to it but seemed like the most sensible option at the time.

Fishlegs Tue 16-May-17 07:30:46

Ok, so it sounds like there is room for negotiation. I will have a chat with her. Thanks so much both of you for your replies.

CormorantDevouringTime Tue 16-May-17 07:32:55

Car insurance covers you for any injury you cause to any third party while driving, including your passengers whatever your relationship to them, so I can't see any reason why that should be a problem.

CormorantDevouringTime Tue 16-May-17 07:35:24

But you'd need to have declared to the car insurers that she is a nanny and hence using the car in the course of her employment.

Fishlegs Tue 16-May-17 08:01:15

Ok thanks.

nannynick Tue 16-May-17 14:29:38

Cover for other children in your home won't really exist except under a blanket cover of guests.
Your nanny is not being paid to care for the children on a play date, though if something did happen an insurer may quibble.
Ultimately it is a risk that you take. If something happened to the children on a play date then you as the home owner may be liable. Your nanny as the adult in the home may also be liable. Depends what the incident is. You should both be aware that there may be no insurance cover so you act sensibly, minimise risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now