Talk

Advanced search

Help self employed or not?!?!?

(5 Posts)
user1122 Mon 15-May-17 21:54:45

Iv been chatting with a family about becoming their nanny/mothers help, neither of us know how to go about it, do I become self employed and tell them what I charge , if so how do I find out about tax and stuff?? Or do they employ me and offer me an hourly rate
Any advise much appreciated????😳

HookandSwan Tue 16-May-17 06:21:34

It's usual for Nannys to be employed and have an hourly rate and a contract etc. The company most ppl use is nannyTax

And make sure you agree to a gross hourly rate not net.

FruitBadger Tue 16-May-17 06:34:08

The nature or your arrangement with the family will determine whether you are employed or self-employed, it's not really something that you have much choice over.

HMRC have a questionnaire on their website with either you or they can use which will tell you what your arrangement should be... www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-employment-status-for-tax/setup

If it's self employed, it's very simple to tell HMRC this. After each tax year ends you fill

FruitBadger Tue 16-May-17 06:40:59

Posted too soon!

You fill out a tax return which will help you calculate how much tax you have to pay. If you're employed then the family can either choose to operate their own payroll or ask an agency to do it for them.

I'm an accountant and do quite a lot of employment status stuff for work. If you're a Nanny, you're usually going to be an employee. Think about the differences between a Nanny and a Childminder, these are key factors. Right to work for other people / only working for one family, right to reject a family (or not), right to substitute (e.g. another childcarer) if you're not available, choice over where you work (child's home vs your business premises) are examples.

nannynick Tue 16-May-17 19:56:11

A nanny or mothers help is in 99% of cases an employee. You are being told what to do, when to do it, you don't have the right to send someone else, you don't have the right to say no can't do today but I can come tomorrow.

They employ you and offer an annual salary. They provide you with a contract of employment. A nanny payroll company can assist them with providing you with payslips and calculating the taxes that are to be deducted from your gross wage.
NannyTax, NannyPaye, PayeforNannies are popular providers of nanny payroll services in the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now