Talk

Advanced search

Childcare.co.uk

(20 Posts)
bittorrent123 Fri 28-Apr-17 10:55:52

Hi
Has anyone used this and paid the £24.99 per month for gold membership. I can't message potential nannies unless I pay this. Does anyone think this is worth it or should I just use an agency like Tinies?

nannynick Fri 28-Apr-17 11:09:51

Membership costs a lot less than an agency fee would be, so it's worth a try.

KatyBerry Fri 28-Apr-17 11:12:20

I hired the greatest nanny I ever had from there. She refused to use agencies as had been so messed around by them in the past. There are however a huge number of unqualified chancers with no references on there so you must be ultra vigilant. Don't think for a moment that a huge agency fee means that they will have vetted people before they're sent your way either.

bittorrent123 Fri 28-Apr-17 11:40:50

Thank you - that's good to know.
How do you tell who the chancers are? I am quite nervous hiring a nanny so any tips would be very welcome. Some look really good but it's hard to know.

KatyBerry Fri 28-Apr-17 11:57:52

the ones who charge a fee based on the number of children, want cash in hand, don't have current first aid certificate, written references, have never nannied before but have, like, loads of siblings, don't have DBS check, can't communicate in written or spoken english, can't tell you how they'd plan a day for a child of the appropriate age and so on. And they're frequently not actually available to work or available to work the hours they've advertised for but woudl Monday afternoons only be OK?
good luck...

NuffSaidSam Fri 28-Apr-17 13:28:24

childcare.co.uk is a good site and worth paying the money for. The general way it works is that parents pay and nannies don't (the same as using an agency), although I know cases where it's worked the other way round.

I think it should be fairly obvious who the 'chancers' are, everything Katy says. Once you've paid the fee you can send as many messages as you like, so just send a message out to anyone you're interested in and go from there.

I would avoid judging too much on the profile, some people are just not computer savvy. Just try and glean the key info (are they qualified/experienced).

Don't send the same generic message to every nanny. Don't said a message that says 'I like your profile. What is your phone number?' or similar. Be prepared to exchange a couple of messages first to see if they are available/interested and whether they have the basics of what you're looking for.

If you are very anxious and can afford it an agency might be better, they do a lot more mollycoddling than you'll get with childcare.co.uk! Be aware though that it's largely the same nannies with both, one will cost £24.99 and the other £1000 or so.

bittorrent123 Fri 28-Apr-17 14:14:35

Thank you - that is useful. I shall give it a go. It is hard to know but presumably I can check their ofsted reports etc to feel more comfortable with it all.
Thanks all

bittorrent123 Fri 28-Apr-17 14:19:51

I was just wondering - does it matter whether or not they are ofsted registered?

NuffSaidSam Fri 28-Apr-17 14:28:47

Nannies are not inspected by Ofsted in the same way schools, nurseries and childminders are so there are no reports to read.

There is no legal requirement for nannies to be registered with Ofsted at all. Many nannies are registered because it allows them to be paid with childcare vouchers/be part of the tax-free childcare system and that is obviously very important to many families.

Each year Ofsted visits, at random, about 10% of the registered nannies, but this is just to check their paperwork and ask a few basic safeguarding questions. It's not really an assessment of how good a nanny they are.

In terms of whether it matters if they are Ofsted registered; not in terms of the care they provide, no. Being Ofsted registered is not an indicator of how well they do their job. It will be essential if you wish to use childcare vouchers/tax-free childcare to pay them though.

To be Ofsted registered a nanny must have a DBS check, First Aid qualification, a basic childcare qualification and insurance. If they're Ofsted registered it's a guarantee they have all of that. Of course, there are nannies who have all of that (and more) and have chosen not be Ofsted registered.

nannynick Fri 28-Apr-17 14:34:03

Nannies don't have Ofsted reports as they are not regulated. Around 10% of those who are registered get an inspection visit, I had one after about 7 years being on the register.

Given you mention Ofsted, I presume you are in England. If you are going to use childcare vouchers or tax-free childcare to help pay the cost, then yes the nanny does need to be Ofsted registered.

Nannies can show you documents, such as training, DBS check. The DBS check may be on Update Service so you can check online (you need then nannies permission to do this along with some personal information).

Nanny payroll provider websites have more information about Ofsted registration, tax-free childcare, pensions and producing payslips.
NannyTax and NannyPaye are the two largest providers.

Dannygirl Fri 28-Apr-17 17:56:37

I found the best nanny ever through the site too. I think it's definitely worth it but as you said you need to check qualifications, DBS and so on, and speak to references yourself on the phone (not email). Even if I was hiring through an agency I would want to speak to references personally though...

Shezza71 Sat 29-Apr-17 10:00:17

As a nanny I've never paid the full membership to be able to message/respond to parents but have lots of friends that use it as their only way of meeting families
Ofsted is only beneficial to parents so they are able to use childcare vouchers, but do check first aid is less than 3 years old and DBS is up to date.
If you're nervous meet at a coffee shop, if you have a good feeling invite her to your home to meet the children.
Don't focus too much though on her response as to what she will do on a daily basis with your child, personally I get to know the child/family/routine then build on activities around that, instead ask what she does with current family.
Good luck

smearedinfood Tue 09-May-17 11:24:48

I would get a few interviews in, sometimes especially in London they may have help with their English when responding to you and it kind of becomes obvious when you meet them in person... all depends on how much patience and your toddler has...

2boytrouble Tue 09-May-17 11:47:26

I use it and have a job from it. 2 in fact! Still working now, been on there over a year

Yukbuck Tue 09-May-17 20:58:05

Mostly everything that Katy said. But I disagree with ruling someone out who charges based in number of children. Generally in my area nannies charge between £9 per hour and £12 per hour. It's true that a nanny will charge per family rather than per child but obviously 3 kids is a lot more responsibility than 1 child. So expect to pay a bit more if you have more children.

Brixhambelle Fri 19-May-17 18:04:51

I would recommend this site, many agencies don't check references or certificates properly so you may as well do it yourself. Start by messaging the nanny and checks no she is still available. Then speak to her on the phone - you can weed out lots by this and narrow your search down to those you wish to interview in person.
Once you have met a nanny you like check both written and verbal references. Don't wait very long, a good nanny will be employed very quickly.

PowerPantsRule Sat 20-May-17 08:04:31

I got a good nanny from there but please be prepared as katy says for a lot of timewasters who put in their profile they can do any hours and in fact only want to do Tuesdays of alternate months!

Also annoying are the ones who seem PERFECT and you get all excited and they simply never answer messages. Or they answer once and then ghost you. Grrrrr.

wickerlampshade Thu 25-May-17 10:51:55

I found a nanny through it but as said lots of timewasters - my ad clearly said that I needed full days Monday/Tuesday and someone who can drive and I'd get emails that said things like "I can do all day Tuesday and Friday morning and I'm starting driving lessons next week" - but in among the dross were some gems.

Leavesandburies Thu 25-May-17 10:57:35

I got the best nanny in the world on gumtree. I had so many responses and the majority were well qualified for the job. £25 is not much to pay for access to lists of candidates though.

MugwumpSupreme Thu 25-May-17 11:07:35

The first time I looked for someone I paid and got loads of timewasters, something like 40 contacts of which maybe 5 looked even ok on their CV let alone at interview. The second time I posted an ad without paying, it was much more successful as only those nannies that had paid themselves could contact me and therefore were serious about finding a job. I suppose it depends on the area though, this was in London where there seemed to be loads of people with no childcare experience looking for a stop gap between other jobs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now