Talk

Advanced search

Leaving child with nanny

(7 Posts)
arthmoore Thu 20-Apr-17 19:07:21

I've booked a well deserved week away without DD and will be leaving her and the dog with our nanny who is fantastic with them!
I'm not sure how much is fair to pay for a week of childcare (and obv responsibilities of the dog and the house) as I've ensured DD is in predschool most days of this week or at least a couple hours.

Have other parents had a nanny whilst away? What did you pay? Nannys what would you feel is fair to charge for the week?

Callaird Thu 20-Apr-17 19:35:31

When my employers go away and leave me with my charge I get babysitting rate (£10) from 7:30pm until 11:30pm, over night fee (£40) from 11:30pm until 7:30am, weekends I charge £12:50 per hour until 11:30pm and overnight fee as above.

If my charge wakes up for any reason (they never do!) I would charge £10/12:50, if they were awake for 5 minutes or 50 minutes as I know that I will not go back to sleep for ages.

However, my employers will offer me time and a half off in lieu if I prefer so sometimes I take them up on it.

(Nanny of 32 years)

selly24 Thu 20-Apr-17 22:06:44

Perhaps best to work out a stipend. A one off extra payment for taking on the responsibility while you are away rather than an hourly rate...?

BooFuckingHoo Fri 21-Apr-17 19:21:46

I pay £50 a night (on top of original salary which is 8-6 at £10ph with flexi time) for 2 DC (7 and 2). Weekends we pay £150 for a day/night so works out the same although tends to work out less hours as often back earlier e.g. 6pm Friday to 2pm Sunday.

NuffSaidSam Sun 23-Apr-17 02:37:51

Normal hourly rate for all the waking hours e.g. 7am-7pm.

Normal babysitting rate from bedtime to 12am.

Overnight fee from 12am-7am (I charge half my normal hourly rate so £35).

If your nanny wants to do you a favour she might take the overnight fee from 7pm-7am, so £60 instead of £85. That's what I do with families I babysit for a lot/know well.

underneaththeash Wed 26-Apr-17 20:14:15

I've also usually paid £50 for an overnight extra as well.

I would just ask her how much more she'd like, it sounds as if you have a good working relationship.

GrapesAreMyJam Thu 27-Apr-17 15:22:48

I get paid my overtime rate from my normal finishing time to my normally starting time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now