Talk

Advanced search

Becoming a nanny!

(6 Posts)
Hasna2288 Sat 15-Apr-17 11:10:09

Just some opinions please! I'm currently on maternity and have 10 years of experience in working in a nursery setting as a deputy manager. I wanted to go into nannying and wanted to know if many of you would consider me to be your nanny but also having my daughter with me?

Also can anyone point me in the right direction to look for nanny jobs!

nannynick Sat 15-Apr-17 20:27:31

You don't have any nannying experience so that may put some people off. Try to think of times during your childcare career in which you have had sole charge of children in a home setting.

Bringing your own child with you to work is also going to be something that some parents will not want but others may see as being of benefit. NWOC (Nanny with own child) does get mentioned on here from time to time.

Location will play a huge factor... are you in an area where there is demand for nannies?

I would suggest you contact a local nanny agency and have a chat with them, see if they feel that there are parents in the local area who would employ a nanny with their own child and what sort of salary you could expect to get.

nannynick Sat 15-Apr-17 20:29:34

Mumsnet message threads during past year which have mentioned NWOC

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Mon 17-Apr-17 02:01:28

I am a NWOC. I had a mixture of 18 years nursery and sole charge nanny experience before my daughter was born and initially returned from mat leave when DD was 5 months old to the family I had been with for 3 years. They had a change of circumstances and I was made redundant 6 months later but have been pleasantly surprised by how positive some parents are about DD coming to work with me. I think like any nannying job it is important to be upfront at interview and make sure you are a good match in terms of things like discipline, activities, food. It is much easier to have your own child with you if the children you care for are used to a similar style and you won't feel you have to change how you parent your own child to be fair.

I do take a 20% cut in my hourly rate for the benefit of her being with me and it is not always easy - caring for other people's children is much easier and it can somethings feel like I am compromising my DDs needs to be professional. But generally it works well, she gets on well with the children I care for and it has stopped her being too PFB. Bear in mind you are likely to be responsible for things like buying a double buggy if it's needed, although all the people I have worked for have offered the use of high chairs, travel cots, etc.

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Mon 17-Apr-17 02:04:39

I advertised myself through gumtree and childcare.co.uk. Be careful with details though. I have had a couple of very dodgy enquires, one of which I went to the police with. I have also found jobs with both.

Captainj1 Wed 19-Apr-17 23:16:50

I have a NWOC. When I just had one child (DS) he was at nursery full time, when I had DD 4.5 years later, DS's nursery keyworker was on Mat leave and I tempted her to come to work for me rather than returning to nursery (she wasn't intending to return as it would have been financially viable). She brings her DD (6 months older than mine) with her 50% of the time and the remainder her DD is at nursery although she comes to my house first thing on those days as it's too early for her to be dropped off at nursery before the 7.30am start with me. It generally works well although at the moment the girls are testing her patience as they are 2/2.5 and 'learning' to share and my DD knows everything in my house is hers (or her brothers) and is much more vocal and understandable with her speech than nanny's DD...! It can also be problematic when her DD is ill as she doesn't have much family support; we wrote into the contract that unless my DC or her DD had anything life threateningly contagious, I expected her to work and she could bring her DD. They have all had chicken pox now....🙈

I pay market rate for my nanny and have also provided double buggy and highchairs etc at my own cost. Nanny's DD also eats my food when she's at my house although it says in the contract that nanny should provide it. Nanny couldn't drive when she started working for me and I paid for taxis to bring her to and from work until she passed her test. I think I've been very fair/generous and in turn she is hardworking and loyal.

I guess you will have lots of parent contacts from your role in the nursery and you would have a better chance of finding someone willing to let you bring your child if they already know you and trust you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now