Talk

Advanced search

How to get DCs ok wth new nanny

(3 Posts)
KefirDoor Tue 11-Apr-17 09:58:31

Our old nanny was with us for a long time. Then left totally out of the blue with no notice and did not say goodbye to the children. DC were ok at first but now we have a new nanny and DS says he doesn't like her. I don't think there's any reason other than that he doesn't know her really. He has been acting out with her in a big way.

But he spent all of last night crying about it. Asking why our last nanny had left him and if she was coming back etc sad

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can use this Easter holiday time (i.e. While with her all the time and not at school) to try and turn this around and make him feel positive about the new nanny? Younger DC are more ok about it.

I've suggested days out etc but he says he doesn't want to. I'm torn as to whether I should push them to go and just get on with it or whether this might make things worse and he'll feel the new nanny has forced him to go out and do something he didn't want to.

JaxingJump Tue 11-Apr-17 10:03:29

You need to help him understand that although old nanny loved them all, it was a job and when life situations change people often need to change their job.

Then I'd let him and new nanny get on with getting to know each other. You can't cope with this for him, he has to experience, evaluate, understand and decide himself about this new and compulsory situation himself. It's called learning to cope and is the most important thing you can ever teach a child in my opinion. You sugar coating or indulging him etc will make it harder for him in the long term.

What age is he?

Ps. I've a nanny for 3 yrs since mine were newborns so am horrified at the thought of them having to go through this.

ittybittyluna Sun 16-Apr-17 14:28:07

How old is he? Are you around during this transition?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now