Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

morrissey vs marr

(14 Posts)
mwff Wed 30-Sep-09 21:34:50

i was listening to the smiths just now and realised i'd have liked them a whole load more if it hadn't been for morrissey. my tolerance only extends so far. johnny marr is a god though

on a tangent - has everyone heard mitch benn's never went through a smiths phase? gringrin

LyraSilvertongue Wed 30-Sep-09 21:37:28

You're so right, Johnny Marr is one of my musical heroes.
Morrissey would have been completely mediocre without him.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 30-Sep-09 21:47:11

I disagree.
I think either could have been mediocre without the other. They are so far apart musically, but Marr's jangly guitar and Morrissey's lyrics complement each other perfectly.

I reckon Johnny Marr has aged better, though. Morrissey hasn't produced anything I have really loved since Vauxhall and I, and then I watched Marr with The Cribs on Jools Holland last night and he is still very cool.

mwff Wed 30-Sep-09 22:00:41

clearly there was a kind of magical alchemy going on, but i don't understand how, since i find morrissey on the whole pretty objectionable. at best he makes me laugh.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 30-Sep-09 22:19:26

I did read a rumour that Ian Brown and Marr were putting together a Manchester supergroup with Paul Ryder and Mani. How true this is I couldn't say, Ian Brown has always scoffed, iirc, at any reunion with John Squire, so can't really imagine him doing this. It would be interesting, maybe, or else a steaming pile of self indulgent crapgrin

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 30-Sep-09 22:19:29

I did read a rumour that Ian Brown and Marr were putting together a Manchester supergroup with Paul Ryder and Mani. How true this is I couldn't say, Ian Brown has always scoffed, iirc, at any reunion with John Squire, so can't really imagine him doing this. It would be interesting, maybe, or else a steaming pile of self indulgent crapgrin

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 30-Sep-09 22:20:01

Oops

mwff Wed 30-Sep-09 22:40:43

lol ian brown is a bit of a nob too. i'd go see the band though my biggest musical regret is never seeing the stone roses.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 30-Sep-09 23:49:34

I did see them, in 1995 I think, but they played stuff off The Second Coming in the main, and Reni had left by then, so not the same as seeing them at The Hacienda in their prime.
Ian Brown was really charismatic though, I think John Squire was the knob of the band, with his splashy Pollock style painting and shoegazing persona.

thell Wed 30-Sep-09 23:53:53

DH was looking at an article about this this very evening - Ian Brown & Johnny Marr both live in Lymm in Cheshire.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/sep/30/ian-brown-johnny-marr

MoreCrackThanHarlem Thu 01-Oct-09 00:02:03

See I just looked at that and still thought Phwoar at Ian Brownblush

mwff Thu 01-Oct-09 11:14:31

mani was the best

said Sun 04-Oct-09 10:14:00

I thought Johnny Marr lived in Portland - or maybe he just has a house out there.

purepurple Sun 04-Oct-09 10:19:59

It was Morrissey all the way for me.
I don't like his solo stuff much, tbh, so Marr obviously was important to me too, I just didn't realise it at the time. I was too obsessed with Morrissey to notice Marr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now