Talk

Advanced search

So you know those old compilation tapes that friends made for you, back in the day...

(37 Posts)
bigTillyMint Tue 15-Sep-09 17:00:38

Well, what do you do with them now? I can't bear to throw mine out, but casette players are pretty much obsolete now.

Do you still keep yours for sentimental reasons?

millenniumfalcon Tue 15-Sep-09 17:01:30

recreate them on spotify

bigTillyMint Tue 15-Sep-09 17:03:38

Oooh, what's spotify? Is it i-pod compatible? How do you do it?

bigTillyMint Tue 15-Sep-09 17:03:39

Oooh, what's spotify? Is it i-pod compatible? How do you do it?

millenniumfalcon Tue 15-Sep-09 17:08:07

spotify atm it's a standalone app that streams off the interweb but i do believe they've just announced an offline version on the way. it has an awful lot of bands/albums but not everything, and unless you pay you get adverts every half dozen songs or so. you can make and share playlists (although i've listened i've not made any so don't know how easy it is).

(it also scrobbles to last.fm if you do that)

mckenzie Tue 15-Sep-09 17:09:56

I have some that were made for me in the 80s by the guy who was then the love of my life. I've long since married someone else but I can't part with them. I don't need to listen to them - I know all the songs off by heart!! How sad am I??

bigTillyMint Tue 15-Sep-09 17:13:26

Yep, mine are like that mckenzie - made by old boyfriends in the 80's blushI really ought to throw them out, but...

UnquietDad Tue 15-Sep-09 17:15:35

I've still got lots of mine. Tapes from the Top 40 in the 80s too. I can't bear to throw them out!

The thing about a compilation tape was that you listened to it, preferably "blind", in the order in which the tracks were carefully selected by your friend. There was a real art to them, and the best ones showed respect for your friend's taste while trying to offer them something they might like.

Almost impossible to recreate the same experience in the digital age!

millenniumfalcon Tue 15-Sep-09 17:17:19

course it is, you just don't have to faff around with your finger on the pause button and time everything so it fits on a c90

geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 15-Sep-09 17:34:28

the best thing about doing a mix tape was decorating the inlay card! BUT didn't you always start out really enthusiastic and then get really bored scrabbling round for the last few songs to fill up the second side....especially if you made the mistake of using a 90min tape...

BigGitDad Tue 15-Sep-09 21:23:42

I threw most of mine out a while ago, being left in the garage and not having a tape deck anymore meant i could not play them anymore as the quality of them had declined.
Though they did have a brief hiatus when I bought a VW Passat with had a cassette player in it and I still had a couple of tapes left.
I still have my walkman somewhere I think!

squeaver Tue 15-Sep-09 21:26:06

Mine are in a drawer upstairs. God knows when I last listened to them. But I still sometimes hear a song on the radio and then immediately start singing the one that came after it on a particular tape.

geoffkates Tue 15-Sep-09 21:26:14

me and the dh often still make them for eachother and I made one for some friends of mine that were emigrating with a London theme...tho admittedly that was on a stick that was pretending to be a tape iyswim.

We keep a tape deck in the kitchen little midi thing...

BigGitDad Tue 15-Sep-09 21:28:07

Yes squeaver, I do exactly the same. I can usually tell what song it is within the first second or two as well.

UnquietDad Tue 15-Sep-09 22:31:51

millenniumfalcon - well, obviously, you can DO it, but it isn't the same listening experience if you flip a folder of downloads over to someone, or a CD. They'll know what the songs are, for one thing, and can choose their own order. Defeats the object!

Shivs1974 Tue 15-Sep-09 22:38:08

You could always convert them into mp3 files - Try one of these We've got a v similar one and dh is working his way through our big pile of tapes. However as has already been pointed out, you wouldn't have the joy of the inlay card!

cyteen Tue 15-Sep-09 22:41:52

geraldinetheluckygoat, apparently you are me blush

Anyway, we still have a working cassette player so DP and I will both be keeping our voluminous mix tape collections, thank you very much. Some of my favourites are actually ones I made for myself, plus I have loads made by my late brother which I will treasure always.

<suddenly realises song has finished, lunges for pause>

Hassled Tue 15-Sep-09 22:44:06

DS1 chewed his way through my best ever mix tape. It had Sound of the Suburbs by the Skids as Track 1 Side 1. Made for me by a lad who liked me but it was never really reciprocated - though he had good taste in music. I've never really forgiven DS1 for it, and that was 21 years ago.

BigGitDad Tue 15-Sep-09 22:47:02

Sound of the suburbs was by The members, not The Skids.
<get me coat>

Hassled Tue 15-Sep-09 22:48:25

It was the bleeding Skids. Wasn't it? Blimey. This changes EVERYTHING.

Hassled Tue 15-Sep-09 22:48:43

What did the Skids do, then?

Molesworth Tue 15-Sep-09 22:49:38

IN-TOOOO the valleyyyyyy

Hassled Tue 15-Sep-09 22:50:14

Who the fuck were The Members? Were they like The Skids?

BigGitDad Tue 15-Sep-09 22:51:28

working for the yankee dollar, circus games, masquarade etc

WowOoo Tue 15-Sep-09 22:52:40

Dh has put all his tapes onto mp3 files and then nto his ipod. Mine are still in a box.

I think I just bought the last stereo with a tape player from Currys! Has ipod port too. Was told there are not many models around with tape deck anymore but still like to listen to my old tapes.

Spotify is FAB FAB FAB and FREE FREE FREE!! Some tunes I think of not there, but so much to listen to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: