Talk

Advanced search

any book recommendations for a 9 year old intent on teaching herself piano?

(5 Posts)
hatwoman Wed 19-Aug-09 20:43:44

dd has had a few lessons - but she clashed with the teacher and it all came to an end. for about 2 years she's barely touched the piano. In the last 2 months or so she's started working through the book the teacher gave her - and is doing quite well. she's probably playing for 1-2 hours a day. She is adamant she doesn't want lessons (from a different teacher, obviously) - and I'm not going to push them - the last thing I want to do is turn this new-found pleasure into a lesson-related chore. When I learned as a kid I can remember having theory and study books - in particular I can remember exercises to help you learn the notes on the lines and spaces. I think something like this might help her with her reading. does anyone have any suggestions?

I can also remember some lovely Walter Carroll books - and even though I've looked for them on-line I can't seem to find the right ones. In my memory there were 2 lovely easy ones, and then a third one that was a bit harder. Now I may be wrong but this looks like the third one to me. this is one of the easier ones - but I'm sure there's another.

many thanks for any ideas

Ponders Wed 19-Aug-09 21:48:03

Surely Book 1 is the first book???

My 6-yr-old's teacher taught him for years with Alfred. There is a fairly complicated structure, it doesn't just go from 1 to 2 to 3, this one in landscape format is v v basic for little ones so your DD could probably try one of the more advanced ones.

They were very successful with my DS anyway - step-by-step, if too easy she can jump ahead smile

They are American though so some of the terminology is wrong (eg quarter notes instead of - er - what we call them!)

hatwoman Wed 19-Aug-09 21:59:33

thanks ponders - I'll have a look at those. my memory may be serving me wrong about Walter Carroll - (and maybe I didn't explain what I meant very well) but I was sure there were 2 books that were easier than the one that seems to be called book 2. (which is what I meant when I said the one called 2 looks like one I remember being third...are you with me?). I was wondering if there was maybe one which was called intro, or easy, or similar. (still not convinced I've explained that very well...)

thirtypence Wed 19-Aug-09 22:05:33

Hal Leonard Student Piano series is very good at going step by step and I reckon a 9 year old could teach themselves from it (technique might be a little interesting) there are matching note spellers and theory books too as well as solo books for extra pieces. It ties in with another Hal Leonard Series and so she could play popular tunes, Christmas carols etc. at the same level.

Have a look at Musicroom.com as they have a very wide selection and free postage if you spend over a certain amount.

thirtypence Wed 19-Aug-09 22:06:13

To be clearer - the note speller will help with the note reading/naming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now