Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else at Wembley?

(22 Posts)
Eve4Walle Sat 15-Aug-09 17:30:09

to see U2 last night?

Just wondering, I'm not a huge U2 fan but have to say they were excellent....

stressed2007 Tue 18-Aug-09 16:15:56

Went on Friday - absolutely fantastic. I so love Bono - if you want to chat tonight about how wonderful they are I will be here!

2madboys Tue 18-Aug-09 16:27:48

Will be at Sheffield on Thursday - so excited. Last tour was amazing.

OhBling Tue 18-Aug-09 16:34:24

I was there on Friday. It was amazing. We were in the golden circle and it was brilliant.

2madboys Tue 18-Aug-09 16:41:56

Any tips on how to get into the circle? Not too hopeful as we won't be there for queuing until early/mid afternoon. We were on the front row at Twickenham last time, so hope it's not an anticlimax if we're further away this time.

OhBling Tue 18-Aug-09 17:17:00

We did queue but only from mid afternoon ourselves. And becuase we thought there was no way we'd get in, once we got through we didn't rush until suddenly we realised the golden circle was still open at which point we ran for it.

I think because it was the friday it might have been a bit easier.

thighsmadeofcheddar Tue 18-Aug-09 17:20:14

I saw them saturday and we thought it was amazing. Very futuristic. The music was awesome but bono's voice was a bit echo-y in the stands.

2madboys Tue 18-Aug-09 17:24:55

Thanks OhBling. At Twickenham we just randomly joined a queue we saw and were then ushered down to the front section. Maybe there's hope for us yet!

stressed2007 Tue 18-Aug-09 21:43:30

Yes the only thing I would say is acoustics generally were not great, Each rig (stage) cost £20 million - you'd have thought whoever they paid would have sorted the sound out. Brilliant all the same.

catsmother Tue 18-Aug-09 22:33:00

I thought the sound at Wembley last Friday was decidely dodgy when the Hours were on, improved with Elbow and was then pretty much okay by the time U2 were on - who were brilliant. Only (very) slight downer for me was that the setlist on Saturday included 2 of my favourites which they didn't play on Friday (Stay, and New Years Day).

Am going to Sheffield on Thursday .... will be standing this time, so the atmosphere could be very different (better ?) particularly since I "saw" most of Friday's show through my camera IYKWIM - though have got some great shots. This time, I'm fully intending to really get into it (no fiddling about with the camera) and just hope it doesn't rain !!

stressed2007 Wed 19-Aug-09 08:09:01

Are you going onto pitch then? mmm wonder if I can get babysitter for tomorrow and go up there. Very surprised at number of tickets being sold outside wembley for concert which has been sold out for months

sayanything Wed 19-Aug-09 08:27:42

I saw them in Paris last month - I'd fallen out of love with U2 after Achtung Baby, but boy, they seduced me all over again. Utterly brilliant. We were in the "mosh pit" too.

stressed2007 Fri 21-Aug-09 14:04:58

2madboys what was Thursday night like?

jsgirl Fri 21-Aug-09 22:45:34

I saw U2 in Sheffield last night (Thursday). Thought they were incredible. Loved Elbow too. Missed The Hours. We were on the pitch in the main crowd part, not in the pit, about 5 deep from the front. Quite a good view. Sounded amazing. Considering the number of songs they played, it seemed to pass very quickly. A very quick 2 hours!

Loved it all. Well, except for the two silly tarts who despite where we were standing with quite a good view deciding that they needed to be up on someone's shoulders every now and then. I was there to watch U2, not your arse love. Lots of people very cross with them. I know it's a concert and that happens a lot, blah blah, but it did piss me off a bit. Didn't spoil it though.

All in all, bloody brilliant!

BigGobMum Fri 21-Aug-09 23:16:45

I despise 'tarts on shoulders!' Im surprised they didnt get - er..drenched!

2madboys Mon 24-Aug-09 20:02:00

Hi Everyone - sorry for the delay in replying. Got up Friday morning after 4 hours sleep to pack up and go camping! Thursday night was amazing. Despite being told that the huge queue was more than the 2000 who would get into the pit, our little queue got us there too! We were about 5 back from the side where the Edge was. Loved Elbow. U2 were great. Bono was much more on form that last time when we saw them at Twickenham. There was a lot more banter and thought they all seemed to enjoy it a lot more this time. The screens/lights were great and having the speakers so much higher up was a little easier on the ears than front row at Twickenham!

catsmother Tue 25-Aug-09 23:13:18

2madboys ....... I got in the pit too ..... only queued from 3pm so couldn't believe it ! We were about 6 rows back from Edge as well so could have been very close to you.

Thought it was a fantastic show, am still on a high and have been playing the download of the concert non stop. Having been at Wembley, which was wonderful at the time, I am so glad we made the trek up to Sheffield, because the sound was so much better - probably because we were right in the claw itself, and I think the atmosphere felt different (better) too, this might have been cos it was a smaller venue but the happiness from all the fans seemed to radiate more. It was just brilliant to be so close and be able to see their expressions and movements so clearly ...... you really felt much more a part of it. Danced non stop and got home at 3.30 but it was well worth it and would definitely go back if they ever played there again.

If anyone's interested, there's a facebook group - with loads of pics - search U2 Don Valley I was there.

2madboys Wed 26-Aug-09 08:31:13

You weren't the people with the cheese and chopping board were you? :-)

2madboys Wed 26-Aug-09 08:33:47

If anyone wants to see the pics my dh took at Sheffield they are here: www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbrightman/sets/72157621975312993/

catsmother Wed 26-Aug-09 22:11:54

Nope, no cheese, ..... good grief, who takes a picnic into the pit ?! I didn't even take a bag, stuffed all I needed into the many pockets of my combats ! I didn't want anything slowing me down on the mad dash to get in .......

Squishabelle Wed 26-Aug-09 22:29:00

How do you get into the pit? I always thought the 'pit' was the bit right at the front, in front of the stage where the stewards stand (and where they pull the surfers into before carting them off).

catsmother Wed 26-Aug-09 23:51:07

In this case, the "pit" was the inner circle immediately in front of the stage. This was then surrounded by a circular walkway, onto which the band ventured via rotating bridges at various times, and then, outside of that was the main pitch standing.

To get into U2's pit/inner circle at Sheffield you ran as fast as you could across the pitch on admission and were let through turnstiles 1st come, 1st served - I read they let 2400 in. At Wembley, it seemed a bit more confused, it looked like standing ticket holders had to get a wristband as well before being allowed on to the pitch at all, and I've read it was a bit of a free for all with stewards being swamped, and people getting very irate as the queue disintegrated. Then it was another run to the turnstiles there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now