Talk

Advanced search

Gene - I liked 'em

(103 Posts)
MrsSprat Mon 04-Aug-08 00:54:13

I'm fessing up to this one like it's a guilty pleasure. I still do like their stuff. So did John Peel.

At the time they were criticised a lot for being Smiths wannabes. I still love Sleep Well Tonight and Olympian

Don't think they really got the success they deserved. Who's with me?

justjules Mon 04-Aug-08 16:12:06

i love this one by gene

sfxmum Mon 04-Aug-08 16:12:56

Sleep well tonight la la la

saw them at Reading yonks ago

justjules Mon 04-Aug-08 16:14:37

my fave gene track

taliac Mon 04-Aug-08 17:27:03

Poo.

IMHO.

grin

DaDaDa Tue 05-Aug-08 11:21:28

They had a couple of good tunes. Olympian was great.

Let's widen it out into Britpop also-rans in general. I give you this from Rialto. There's a band around called The Dears who basically have lifted Rialto's schtick wholesale.

DaDaDa Tue 05-Aug-08 11:27:19

Warm Jets - Never Never.

I liked this because it sounds a bit like Julian Cope until halfway through when it bizarrely turns into 'Johnny and Mary' by Robert Palmer grin. Bought their album for a quid in Record and Tape. Not terribly good.

frankiesbestfriend Tue 05-Aug-08 12:47:54

I saw Martin Rossiter on a property programme a while back, showing off his lovely home and his wife and kids.

They never mentioned Gene but he did describe himself as a singer/songwriter.

Bronze Tue 05-Aug-08 12:56:24

Oh I just found olypian on youtube and feel all young again.

Ok much worse than gene. I fully admit to liking the new radicals. They make me feel all summery

Bronze Tue 05-Aug-08 12:57:04

olypian olympian

Songbird Tue 05-Aug-08 13:00:26

Martin Rossiter once kissed my hand! Sa-woooooon! It was a very small venue and he was standing on a speaker at the front and someone pushed me into him and he sort of kind of fell off blush. I was mortified, so he kissed my hand to say 'it's ok'.

moondog Tue 05-Aug-08 13:01:35

I liked For the dead

moondog Tue 05-Aug-08 13:02:04

I liked For the dead

LazyLinePainterJane Tue 05-Aug-08 13:04:44

They were rubbish but likeable. But then I liked a lot of rubbish bands back then.

I also liked The Warm Jets. I still have singles in a box in the shed grin

dirtmonkey Tue 05-Aug-08 13:04:54

I went to college with Martin Rossiter, he was lovely. He had a crush on me (long before he was famous) and used to cycle up and down our road in the evenings until my dad told him to stop... Quite like his music too.

Songbird Tue 05-Aug-08 13:09:32

Olympian is a great album, I know they were a bit poncy, but they were great at the time.

DaDaDa Tue 05-Aug-08 13:20:31

Bronze, New Radicals 'You Get What You Give' is an ace tune. Every song Gregg Alexander ever writes sounds identical though.

frankiesbestfriend Tue 05-Aug-08 13:24:08

Love that whole 1994/95 britpop stuff, it provided some welcome relief from the whole American grunge thing that had dominated the alternative scene before it.

Elastica
Gene
Echobelly
Sleeper
Shed 7
etc etc

frankiesbestfriend Tue 05-Aug-08 13:25:02

Oh and Suede of course, I suppose they came first in about 93.

MrsSprat Tue 05-Aug-08 14:11:48

Oh good not just me then.

Yes - also very appropriate mention of Rialto, who also lurk in my CD collection. Wasn't the lead singer a viscount, or something else posh?

I guess the early/mid-nineties was when I bought the most music. So my collection is very much skewed to that era. 'Still Life' by Suede is another epic triumph!

frankiesbestfriend Tue 05-Aug-08 14:14:27

As is My Insatiable One.

Brett Anderson dirty little weed of a man though.

DaDaDa Tue 05-Aug-08 14:27:16

It wasn't all good though, was it?

frankiesbestfriend Tue 05-Aug-08 14:30:37

Oh God, Menswearhmm

Mod wannabes ahoy!

I used to go to a club in Leeds called Brighton Beach, was full of Menswear style boys comparing bottom of trouser widths.

Very important in Moddyland, apparently.

sfxmum Tue 05-Aug-08 14:30:54

this thread is making me feel oldgrin
think I read something recently about Louise Wener writing books these days

also I think Rossiter's voice is quite similar to Tom from Editors

I used to love Suede

MrsSprat Tue 05-Aug-08 14:31:50

Yes, he was scrawn. Blimey menswe@r! Just awful, as were Sleeper.

Anyone like The Auteurs? Luke Haines was a grumpy old man, but by god, he knew how to write a lyric or two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now