Talk

Advanced search

Leonard Cohen. He is actually God

(61 Posts)
cestlavie Fri 18-Jul-08 09:36:37

I went to see him last night at the O2 and, oh sweet Jesus, he was absolutely jaw-droppingly fantastic. Just so good it's untrue. I've been to quite a few gigs lately with many much more current bands (Vampire Weekend, Santogold, Nouvelle Vague) who were brilliant in their own way, but spending three hours listening to him talk and sing just blows anything else away.

iMum Fri 18-Jul-08 09:39:49

He is, I would and that is quite an admission.

His voice! and he is so nice!!!

dh had a fantastic night, singng and jigging along and oh my god a thousand kisses deep!

Then first we take manhatten! and so long Marianne. Heaven!

We were lucky to have great seats too, was a very very good night.

cestlavie Fri 18-Jul-08 09:48:30

Ah. We were somewhere near the roof, but even from there it felt surprisingly intimate which I didn't expect. Getting back home on the other hand... certainly not going to be rushing back to the O2 any time soon...

GentleOtter Fri 18-Jul-08 09:52:41

His voice is liquid lust.....

iMum Fri 18-Jul-08 10:12:24

We were very very lucky, dh company own a box there so we had box seats right y the stage and with that comes free parking so im my very grumpy preggy state i was hugely relieved to just hop in the car and go home.
Did the whole train thing after foo fighters there a few months ago and it was a shocking crucsh.

Prufrock Fri 18-Jul-08 13:29:28

Wasn't it just amazingly wonderful. I've just got home, and my hands still hurt from clapping.
Hallelujah just showed how much better he is than anybody who has recorded it since, though I did think the Webb sisters' version of If it be your will was just astoundingly good. Those girls can sing.

But then so can he - I was listening to New skin on the way home, and hi voice has improved with age - he went through a period when he was being a bit screechy - almost dylanesque, but now it's lower it is meltingly sexy.

jette Fri 18-Jul-08 13:34:28

The O2 is horrible.
I have to admit that I was a leeetle disappointed - Suzanne was the only one that really really got to me (tears rolling down my cheeks - I'm also pregnant).. I'm really glad I went and I'm glad I finally saw him live - my mum is so jealous - and I love him so much but I think I maybe should have gone to Edinburgh or Manchester instead..

jette Fri 18-Jul-08 13:35:24

Oh - and there was a fight AROUND me during Halelujah..

cestlavie Fri 18-Jul-08 13:54:06

A fight??? Bloody hell, wouldn't have expected that. Might you, a fair portion of the crowd looked like they were on their first trip outside the house in the last decade so maybe they were just over-excited.

No tears at A Thousand Kisses Deep jette?

donnie Fri 18-Jul-08 13:56:53

so he's still alive then?

iMum Fri 18-Jul-08 14:00:56

He had me in tears for lots of it actually! It was fab and am so pleased to have seen him live-he was such a legend, almost too much so, had resigned myself to never seeing him!

jette Fri 18-Jul-08 14:17:28

Oooh yeah- definitely tears at A Thousand Kisses Deep.. In fact I'm crying now!
Who By Fire was beautiful too..

I'm glad he didn't play Famous Blue Raincoat (he didn't did he?! I'm having trouble remembering it all!) because it would have had a sax solo in the middle..

Monkeytrousers Fri 18-Jul-08 14:19:25

he's bloody busy isn;t he?!

jette Fri 18-Jul-08 14:22:32

Not busy enough! He should do a vegas-style residency somewhere small and nice so we all get to see him as many times as we like in an intimate venue.
Until he dies.

GentleOtter Fri 18-Jul-08 15:01:54

He can do it in my living room jette wink

iMum Fri 18-Jul-08 15:02:59

Can I come?

What about those ladies who kept yelling out "We love you Len"

Or was it you!!

Carmenere Fri 18-Jul-08 15:03:47

Very envy at all of you, am listening to him now. I LOVE him, my parents used to listen to him in the 70's and I feel like he has been a big part of the sound-track to my life.

jette Fri 18-Jul-08 15:15:05

I certainly wasn't yelling out! But I have to admit he looked pretty good for 70-odd.. Awww - I just love him so much!
Carmenere - perhaps you could consider the big chill or even somewhere in Europe? Blow the savings! Do it! You won't regret it!

cestlavie Fri 18-Jul-08 15:25:32

Well although it may very well be his last ever tour, he looked and sounded like he might actually have been enjoying it - didn't he skip off the stage at the end? Four encores, standing ovations and people weeping openly over him might just tempt him back into another tour (please, please, please). If not, perhaps we could have a whip-round and organise a one-off MN gig for him?

iMum Fri 18-Jul-08 15:30:59

He was loving it! as were we all. I cant believe that Ive not made to effort to see him live before. Hope he does tour some more but realistically can it ever live up to last nights performance?

iMum Fri 18-Jul-08 15:53:41

for all those who missed it, a review is [http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/gig-23387713-details/Leonard+Cohen/gigReview.do?reviewId=235176 74 here] and he is playing there again in November.

iMum Fri 18-Jul-08 15:54:03

lets try that here

jette Fri 18-Jul-08 15:56:02

What? What? Again in November??? Do you have details? I;m going to get a seat that doesn't give me vertigo this time..

iMum Fri 18-Jul-08 15:57:30

November the 13th, it says so at the bottom of that review and also it was advertised last night too.

iMum Fri 18-Jul-08 15:57:52

Would love to go but will be having a baby that week so might have to skip it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now