Talk

Advanced search

Can you play without music?

(4 Posts)
PortToTheLeft Mon 04-Dec-17 19:21:12

I am waiting in a train station with a piano sitting unused. I have 40 minutes to waste. But I can’t play a single note without music in front of me, even if it is a piece I have played for years. I can dredge up not even a single bar from memory.

Is it just me? Is there a way if improving this? I quite often sit around in train stations and apart from St Pancras the pianos are often all alone screaming out to be played.

fruitpastille Mon 04-Dec-17 19:42:36

I can't play piano but I can play from memory. Can you play a simple melody without music by listening to what note you need to play next?

PortToTheLeft Mon 04-Dec-17 20:11:52

Hi fruitpastille. I’m very envious of anyone who can play by ear. I have no ear at all, I couldn’t pick out bla bla black sheep without music! I’m a slave to the written note sadly.

WelshMoth Sun 07-Jan-18 09:02:48

Start simple.
Find a melody that would fit a C major key (Summer of '69 for just one example) and start with just a few seconds of the song. Then match the melody with left hand.

The danger is losing your sight reading ability. I got to Grade 7 when I was 15 and then my ear took over (was more fun and relaxing) and my reading skills not only stopped, but deteriorated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: