loader

Talk

Advanced search

any tragically hip UK fans?

(8 Posts)
Pastacube Thu 19-Oct-17 22:25:59

here?

SpunkinLatte Thu 19-Oct-17 22:29:47

Yes. Me. I'm Canadian but I've lived here for 16 years. I'm so sad today. Gord Downie was amazing, his lyrics and music got me through young adulthood. I thought they were pretty much only known in Canada. How did you find them?

TheNotSoGoodWife Thu 19-Oct-17 22:33:40

Not a fan as such but I do have one of their CDs that I picked up in Canada 21 shock years ago after my cousin recommended them!

Ladydepp Thu 19-Oct-17 22:36:53

I was a big fan, so sorry to hear about Gord's premature death. I saw them in a small club in Canada many years ago and they were cooler than cool.

Pastacube Thu 19-Oct-17 22:39:16

dh heard them on a mid night tv show in the late 80s and was hooked. we saw them in the 90s at Shepherd's Bush empire. Was a sea of Canadian flags. fully completely is one of my lps I listen to all the time.

Pastacube Thu 19-Oct-17 22:41:28

I remember talking to some canadians at the concert as the venue was so small and they said imagine U2 playing at a similar size venue.

It's amazing to me that such a great band was so unknown here.

SpunkinLatte Thu 19-Oct-17 22:49:03

Apparently any time they toured outside of Canada so many expats showed up they never broke through anywhere else.

Pastacube Thu 19-Oct-17 22:56:15

that would make sense, seems strange they were just (and still are) overlooked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now