Talk

Advanced search

George Michael. Your favourite clips, songs, videos and memories.

(267 Posts)
Fresta Tue 03-Jan-17 19:42:37

I just wanted to start a thread where fans can share their favourite things about George. Share video links, lyrics, rare footage. Tell us why you liked him. Have you met him? Share your memories. Anything really.

Please, no speculation about how he died here.

I bloody worshipped him from being about 12 years old. I remember liking Wham! music and hearing it at a youth club I went to, and then one day I saw his picture in my dad's Daily Star and it was LOVE! It was 1984.

I've just shared this clip on another thread, I think it's one of the sexiest performances I ever saw him do, I love the dance moves in this.
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cij2ep8-1ho]]

Lynnm63 Tue 03-Jan-17 22:14:01

I liked him too. I went to see him at Wembley on his 25th birthday, Andrew Ridgely came on stage and we all sang 'Happy Birthday'. Technically I saw Wham too! He was a great showman and he'll be missed.

UnGoogleable Tue 03-Jan-17 22:35:22

Lovely idea, marking my place, thank you for starting this thread

BishopBrennansArse Tue 03-Jan-17 22:36:30

Freddie Mercury Tribute concert - somebody to love.

Amazing.

NataliaOsipova Tue 03-Jan-17 23:07:12

I don't have anything of huge interest to add, but I'd like to join in if I may as I too have been a lifelong George fan. 'Freedom' was the first record I bought - I'm still word perfect 30 odd years later!

Hewillalwaysbemyman Wed 04-Jan-17 00:00:56

I have loved George since I first saw him on TOTP when I was 12, over 30 years ago and have loved him since. Was lucky enough to see him in 2006 at one of his shows in London and he was amazing. I was pregnant at the time and always promised my ds that we would go and see a concert when he was older but never will now.😥. Thank you George for your beautiful voice, your lovely smile and for being there for me in your songs through the happy and sad times over the years.

CondensedMilkSarnies Wed 04-Jan-17 00:06:25

One of the happiest moments of my life was when a boy asked me to dance to Careless Whisper at a disco held at our local town hall. I still remember the feeling of fuzzy, teenage, lightheaded joy .

FookyNell Wed 04-Jan-17 00:17:56

His songwriting was fantastic, I loved his solo lyrics and rank You Have Been Loved and Different Corner as two of my top 10 all time favourite songs.

He was amazing at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert (another of my heroes), putting his own spin on such a classic song.

I'm sad that I never got to see him perform live, he was a great artist and a wonderful, charitable, flawed human being.

RIP, Yog.

Baylisiana Wed 04-Jan-17 01:33:13

If you love this song as much as I do, five performances are just the beginning....

m.youtube.com/watch?v=JFEgFG5l_iw

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wlBiMW-BumA

m.youtube.com/watch?v=aWz-EfQGqXM

m.youtube.com/watch?v=xYbcrbE8kwY

m.youtube.com/watch?v=bxynRSpbc7E

Baylisiana Wed 04-Jan-17 01:34:47

I really like this performance of A Different Corner...

m.youtube.com/watch?v=VfPSNKb0Ahc

Baylisiana Wed 04-Jan-17 01:36:20

Also, this version of One More Try is a bit different...

m.youtube.com/watch?v=814innM7yHM

CondensedMilkSarnies Wed 04-Jan-17 01:44:41

I love that Bay . He looks beautiful too.

SallyVating Wed 04-Jan-17 01:54:33

I adored him from about 13 years old. I wanted flicky hair like him but my frizzy bush wouldn't have it.

Made friends with him on twitter about 5 years ago in a conversation about ham sandwiches and we used to chat quite a lot at one time, which just confirmed even more what a thoroughly splendid person he was. Never actually met him despite living close by to each other.

lemonpoppyseed Wed 04-Jan-17 02:06:41

I second (third?) the performance of Somebody to Love at the Freddie Mercury concert. Dare I say it was even better than the original (and I adored Freddie)?

I also wonder how I can remember the lyrics to every single Wham and GM song ever written, but can't remember the last time DD went to the dentist...

Backingvocals Wed 04-Jan-17 09:56:23

My favourite Wham song is Everything She Wants.

Love this - they are having fun and Andrew is so sweet. Love George at 3.20. I think he may have been trying to tell us something wink

CeeBeeBee Wed 04-Jan-17 13:51:58

There is a YouTube clip of him rehearsing somebody to love, with Seal and David Bowie lookin on, totally mesmerised. I'll have a hunt now...

CeeBeeBee Wed 04-Jan-17 13:57:29

Here it is

There's too many to mention but his videos in the Faith/ I want your second/ Father figure were all very well done. By the same director I believe.
Young Guns, Wham rap, Wake me up etc are all very uplifting fun songs I enjoy singing along (badly) too.
I like Jesus to a child too.

Fresta Wed 04-Jan-17 17:45:03

George was great at parodying himself, I'd forgotten about this one, Shoot the Dog, it was very political at the time but hilarious.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABhZQ_VRbsQ

notanurse2017 Wed 04-Jan-17 17:48:15

Sounds crass but GM has provided the soundtrack to my life since I was 18. Saw him 4 times, once as part of Wham. Love all his songs but Waiting for the Day is particularly special for me.

The stories of his acts of generosity are amazing.

LoveMySituation Wed 04-Jan-17 19:57:53

For me, George 's music was the soundtrack to my whole 90's. I got into Wham! mostly through his solo stuff , and the cd that was released in I think, 1997, although I don't remember a time that I didn't know WMUBYGG grin I remember recording Freedom 90 off the radio, living in Yorkshire, and doing the same with Too Funky having moved to Shropshire 2 years later. Remember loving Jesus to a child . I watched the Parkinson interview, read everything I could find. I dont think I have been so consistantly interested in anyone else.
Now, I find myself with memories flooding back, suddenly having songs that in some cases I had forgotten, or hadn't heard for years going round in my head. And thinking 'I was 19 when this was out' I still can't believe it. I'm so sad, but so grateful. He was a sensitive crab like me. And that voice.
smilesad

LoveMySituation Wed 04-Jan-17 20:10:02

Crab as in Cancerian I mean grin

magicsoakingmyspine Wed 04-Jan-17 21:07:34

I remember I used to watch this careless Whisper on a VHS I'd recorded off the tele over and over. It was the different way he sang 'and now who is gonna dance with me?' that was so special'.

Just watched it back now and that jacket man? Wow!

The day my brother recorded The Big Breakfast over it was the worst ever. If only I'd have known in 24 years I'd be able to You Tube it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOYccL4hrGkhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOYccL4hrGk

Fresta Wed 04-Jan-17 22:12:17

I still have some VHS tapes with recorded bits on from the tv. I have The Southbank Special he did years ago, and I also have The Wham in China official video documentary. I just can't play them as I don't have a video recorder anymore sad

BratFarrarsPony Wed 04-Jan-17 22:17:46

ooh I loved George....
My favourite memory is from circa 1984 (?) when i was working at a riding centre in South Herts...
There was a little local jumping competition and either Pepsi or Shirlie was competing on her pony.
I was sitting in the gallery and a horde of little girls came rushing up to me and said (screamed) GEORGE MICHAEL IS SITTING RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!
and I actually managed to not turn round to look!
Honestly of all the slebs who have died, GM is the only one that I rreally felt sad about.
I had a little fantasy that one day I might meet him and we would have a big fat joint and I would tell him how much everyone loved him....sad

Hewillalwaysbemyman Wed 04-Jan-17 22:47:57

I still have my VHS tapes too with recordings from the TV! I used to tape anything that he appeared on like Saturday morning kids programmes, TOTP and Live Aid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now