Talk

Advanced search

Piano books for adult learner

(4 Posts)
bodgerthebadger Sun 11-Dec-16 09:40:56

Hello! I have always wanted to play the piano but my parents weren't keen so I learnt the violin instead. We now have a piano - I'm almost 40! - as we bought a digital acoustic with weighted keys for my DD to learn. I'm keen to teach myself on the side. Any recommended piano books? I'm realistic. I'm not expecting to become an amazing pianist. Just good enough to have a tinkle and enjoying playing it for myself to relax in the evening. I haven't played a musical instrument for years but was actually quite proficient on the violin when younger - went up to grade 6 - so hoping that, with lots of practice, I can pick something up on my own! Thanks!!

Ferguson Wed 14-Dec-16 20:29:09

So, having played violin you obviously have 'some' knowledge of music.

You can get a lot of ideas from ABRSM website; they do music tutor books, and Theory books etc.

This might be useful:

www.8notes.com/piano/

And the Kenneth Baker range of tutor books and music in various genres is good for adults. You can buy on-line or many bookshops stock some of them.

Freedom2016 Fri 16-Dec-16 22:26:16

I bought some easy pop ballad tunes to motivate myself as it's quite satisfying to be able to quickly hear what you're supposed to be playing. Habe you got a library near you. I checked things out of the library to get a guage on my level after not playing for 20 year before buying anything Right now im practising some simple carols. Dont know if ill have the nerve to play them.

Ferguson Fri 20-Jan-17 19:30:59

These may be a bit advanced, but you can probably glean something from them; and they might encourage DD:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1423421922/ref=rdr_ext_sb_ti_sims_3?tag=mumsnetforum-21

www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/03209/details.html

www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/012748/details.html

www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/01006142/details.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now