Talk

Advanced search

for the love of Boy George

(38 Posts)
Samcro Sun 07-Feb-16 10:46:39

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVzAH0FtNwg

so here we are a thread to talk about him and other music of that time, away from AIBU and the non fans

Samcro Sun 07-Feb-16 10:48:41

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p__WmyAE3g

insancerre Sun 07-Feb-16 10:51:45

I have had a very soft spot for him since the first time I saw him on TOTP with do you really want to hurt me
I saw him live a few years ago, not long after he came out of prison, and he was amazing, so funny and witty and such an amazing voice
Trivial fact- I named my dog Captain, as a teenager after captain crucial

Samcro Sun 07-Feb-16 10:53:30

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFy43bWQCwg
\

now you made me think of him lol

bluebell34567 Sun 07-Feb-16 10:53:52

he is very nice.
he is the reason I watch The Voice.

MuttonDressedAsMutton Sun 07-Feb-16 10:53:53

I really like BG. I like the person he is now without having to like the person he was at one time. I completely recognise that we are many different people in our lives and that drugs can and do take hold of anyone - and can cause huge personality change in some. I get that he did the crime - he also did the time. The purpose of incarceration is so that the criminal can repay his debt to society and hopefully recognise his failings and become a better person.
So yay for this thread and yay for Boy George! star star star

SurferJet Sun 07-Feb-16 11:00:42

Yay! BG appreciation thread.

Love him.

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Feb-16 11:00:53

I am marking my place here. Be back later.

SurferJet Sun 07-Feb-16 11:02:10

Absolutely Mutton.

harryhausen Sun 07-Feb-16 11:06:17

Love BG. Simple as. The first time I hurt those first few bars of Do You Really Want to Hurt Me I was an impressionable tween. His voice made me stop in my tracks.

He's an 'old timer' in the truest sense. Briefly a peer of Bowie, and definitely been up, down and around. There's not much he knows about the music business or 'fame' in general.

Destinysdaughter Sun 07-Feb-16 11:08:06

Brilliant thread! Will be back later...star

usual Sun 07-Feb-16 11:16:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Finola1step Sun 07-Feb-16 11:18:51

Brilliant thread. It is really interesting how many people remember watching BG's first appearance on Top of the Pops. We may have known that this was someone very different, but I doubt anyone could have foreseen how huge he would become. I think it was a pivotal moment in 80s British music.

I am so very happy that he is well and back on primetime TV. He's like a breath of fresh air.

Destinysdaughter Sun 07-Feb-16 11:25:36

This is a photo of a real photo I took of BG at a concert in 1982. The tickets were £1.75 and 'Do you really want to hurt me?' had just got to No 1 that week!

The other photo is me at the concert! ( apologies for poor quality of the photos this was before digital!)

usual Sun 07-Feb-16 11:29:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Samcro Sun 07-Feb-16 11:31:46

i remember watching him on TOTP'S it was a shock, could not work it out lol

iklboo Sun 07-Feb-16 11:32:14

DS(10) was watching some of The Voice & was asking about the judges & their music. He knows Will.I.Am & Ricky, heard a bit of Paloma but no idea about Boy George. I played him a couple of songs. The boy's a Boy convert smile

Rosa Sun 07-Feb-16 11:34:40

I remember taking the train from Reading to Birmingham to see him live and then taking the train home again. My mum came with me and we both thought he was fantastic live !!!

Samcro Sun 07-Feb-16 11:36:29

i have just ordered a cd for the car...sadly i only have him on vinyl

Destinysdaughter Sun 07-Feb-16 11:49:19

I shared this on the other thread. It's a more recent song BG did with Faithless. Love it!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ETriiwuHLI

Samcro Sun 07-Feb-16 11:58:26

i cant play these today...but will be clicking tomorrow

AdriftOnMemoryBliss Sun 07-Feb-16 12:57:37

i will play them later, i never got to see him live, i'm not old enough, but my mum had a few records i used to listen to when i was younger.

i just really admire him for his turn around, he went through a really shit period and has done so well to recover.

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Feb-16 15:01:17

Fab photos Destinys. The Crying Game is my favourite song but love Victims and Time (Clock of the Heart).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRGS-l1-3A

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Feb-16 15:05:03

And this picture is fabulous. yes, probably all smoke and mirrors and airbrushed, and he doesn't look like that down Tesco but unmistakably him. It's the eyes.

Destinysdaughter Sun 07-Feb-16 15:06:57

I've always wanted to be able to do my eye makeup like him, he does it so well! Maybe he could give lessons...smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now