Talk

Advanced search

Keyboard help please

(7 Posts)
voodoolooloo Sun 22-Nov-15 10:57:11

My 10 year old DD spent her birthday money earlier this year in a large (31 key) keyboard. It's a Yamaha one, but beyond that I know nothing!
She was so keen to play it, bought herself a beginners book and taught herself the very very basics.
I am completely unmusical as is DH. DD is keen to learn but lessons are financially not going to happen. The only people we know who could teach her live miles away.
I need to help her, but I don't know where to begin!
Her school don't offer any sort of extra curricular lesson.
Has anyone got a recommendation for anymore books/you tube channels etc etc. She isn't keen on the idea of playing 'proper music' but would love to be able to bash out the latest Taylor Swift or some such crap .
Thanks in advance.

FanSpamTastic Sun 22-Nov-15 14:52:46

The website www.musicnotes.com sell easy versions of many pop hits.

There are lots of online resources or apps to learn how to read music. Have you tried contacting your local education authority to see if there is access to music lessons in your area?

Ferguson Sun 22-Nov-15 19:16:44

Are you SURE is 31 Keys??? Are sure its not 61??

There is a Yamaha model CALLED NP-31 could it be that??

voodoolooloo Sun 22-Nov-15 21:37:15

Oh lord. It has 61 keys my musical ability is on par with my counting skills
---- I will google the local authority music provision.
I can read music (just) I can play basic Christmas carols ( one handed) I can also play flute and recorder. So although I'm technically clueless I have a fairly good 'ear'.
DD seems to be the same. A start I suppose.
I'm off to check out that website.
Thank you both

Ferguson Sun 22-Nov-15 23:01:12

I'm glad that is sorted out; and 61 keys is pretty well standard for portable keyboards!

Somewhere on the keyboard, there MUST be a name or number to tell us more about it. Was it second hand? And what is the name of the tutor book?

As a Teaching Assistant in primary schools I taught keyboard, recorder, and percussion for over twenty years. Is DD in Yr 6?

Mum, seeing as you have done a bit of music, and flute and recorder you are in a good position to help DD a bit - always supposing she will take any notice of you (which, being ten, she might not!)

She says she doesn't want to play 'proper music', but why isn't Tayor Swift proper music? I must confess, until just now I hadn't heard any TS music, but having had a listen on her web site, and started to read a bit of her 'philosophy on life' there, I have certainly heard a lot worse!

Does DD know anything about music; has SHE played recorder for example, or sang or danced at school?

So, try and find the Model number for the keyboard, and the name of the tutor book, and we can take it from there.

voodoolooloo Mon 23-Nov-15 09:23:14

Thank you. I'll reply properly later when I'm home from work.
DD sings in the school choir and is fairly tuneful.
She's never played the recorder. It's not offered at we school and it's one of those things I've meet got around to teaching her.

Ferguson Wed 25-Nov-15 19:45:23

Hi - have you any more information regarding DD keyboard and tutor book??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now