Talk

Advanced search

can anyone talk to me about keyboards please

(12 Posts)
SplashingInPuddles Wed 18-Nov-15 15:04:07

I am looking for a keyboard for my 4.5 year old.

Something to play around d with really and make some noise on.

I am looking on gumtree but is there anything I should look out for or avoid please?

Thanks

SplashingInPuddles Wed 18-Nov-15 20:00:25

Just bumping for some evening traffic fgrin

Ferguson Wed 18-Nov-15 23:22:23

Hi - lucky I found you!! Do MN Search on my name, and piano, music, keyboard etc -

I've done many similar replies, so look through a few, and I'll try and come back tomorrow for more info.

Ferguson Wed 18-Nov-15 23:24:09

And there are more music related threads in Extra Curricular Education.

SplashingInPuddles Thu 19-Nov-15 07:28:55

Ah lovely thank you Ferguson!

Ferguson Thu 19-Nov-15 20:01:50

Re Keyboard for 4.5 yr old:

Presumably your child is at school (Reception class?) or in Nursery, or something similar. If so, he/she may well be starting to do some music, at least singing, if not a bit of percussion.

Your request is almost the opposite of what a lot of parents want for their 'musical' child; many seem to want formal lessons, and 'Grades' and ensembles, etc, sometimes TOO EARLY for the child.

You, on the other hand, seem happy for him to 'play around' (which is GREAT) and 'make some noise'. However, I would suggest there is a 'middle path', and at 4 or 5 a child is certainly capable of starting to learn what music is all about, learning to play little tunes, and quite possibly, making up their own tunes.

There are many 'tutor books' available, and a child who is starting to learn to read at school, could be able to follow instructions in a music book equally well. There are also on-line 'lessons' - though some are better than others!

As you mentioned Gumtree, I guess price is an issue, or perhaps you don't want to spend out on something that may not last very long. On the other hand, starting music at a young age can start a child on a lifetime of pleasure and creativity.

My main recommendations would be to have FULL SIZE keys, at least 61 if possible, and not bother with so-called 'teaching features' such as lights that show which note to play. Keyboard is NOT difficult to get started on, and the modern keyboard with several hundred sounds, two hundred accompaniment 'styles', and many other features has its own 'reward system' built in.

Tell me a bit about your child, and I'll look back in a few days.

SplashingInPuddles Thu 19-Nov-15 20:16:17

Hi
Wow thank you.

We have a box of percussion bits that both children love to play with. Both (aged 4.5 abd 2.5 ) love to sing and listen to music and classical music (" ballet music")

I didn't want to spend too much, price is an issue if is not going to be used. But at the same time i didn't want to buy just anything. i did see a Casio which has the treble and bass score (the lines - is that the right name?) which I thought maybe she could see the note she was playing on the keyboard on the lines.

In all honestly I am stuck for a Christmas present and dd loves music and singing. She also makes her own musical things (ie worked out elastic bands made a sound and then found a few!).

SplashingInPuddles Thu 19-Nov-15 20:48:00

Dd is in reception and is learning letter sounds - hence my reluctance for anything "formal" music wise. But that was more from not knowing anything and a worry it would confuse things!

Ferguson Thu 19-Nov-15 23:34:13

That is excellent that both children enjoy music, and YES you can start to learn quite a lot with elastic bands!

For twenty-five years I did 'informal' music as a TA - keyboard, recorder, and percussion. Listening to a wide range of music is good.

There is a lot young children can do to start 'exploring' music, before getting to formal learning.

You don't NEED to see the treble and bass to learn to play: the FINGERS learn where to go! Just as in driving, you don't look at numbers on the gear lever, but 'muscle memory' controls your hands and feet.

I'll have a look at some current prices, and come back in a few days; if grandparents and other relatives can contribute as well, maybe between them all can make a worthwhile purchase.

[And you can always have a go at learning to play yourself.]

SplashingInPuddles Fri 20-Nov-15 07:25:16

Thank you. A very long time ago I played the piano.

Some suggestions would be amazing please. Thank you

Ferguson Sat 21-Nov-15 18:39:36

How far did you get on piano, and did you enjoy it?

Do you have any music stores near to home? Although internet prices do SEEM very reasonable, sometimes a local store will match an on-line price, or will include extras like a stand, headphones etc.

What aspirations, musically, do you have for the children? Obviously you can't control interest or progress, but if opportunities are presented to them, they could respond favourably.

I'll send a PM in a few days with more details.

SplashingInPuddles Sat 21-Nov-15 19:33:28

I got a c at gcse and grade 3. It didn't come naturally.

If they would like to do music I would support them. If they don't want to do it I wouldn't push them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now