Talk

Advanced search

DD wants to play the oboe - where do I find a teacher???

(6 Posts)
Miggsie Thu 29-Jan-15 11:01:42

School doesn't offer oboe lessons - but DD (11) really wants to play.
How do I get one and how do you find a teacher?
I'm totally clueless on such things.
I just looked at the price of an oboe to buy and they seem really expensive!

Ferguson Thu 29-Jan-15 19:28:33

What other music or instruments has she done so far? And WHY has she selected oboe?

I can give you a 'link', but I would like you to answer my queries as well, please:

www.learntoplaytheoboe.com/groups/oboe-teachers/forum/topic/new-abrsm-syllabus/

thatstoast Thu 29-Jan-15 19:40:16

Sorry, at 11 does that mean she's in primary or secondary? Just wondering whether the secondary school she was going to would offer lessons and she could wait until then?

When I started the clarinet we rented one for a while, some local music shops might offer that? And if you have a local music shop then they might be able to point you in the direction of a tutor?

Ferguson Thu 29-Jan-15 19:48:26

I have had a look at the site now, and I notice it mentions purchasing from John Packer. They do a lot of 'student' instruments, and our DS got his new sax mouthpiece from them.

Also, if you can purchase VIA HER SCHOOL, you can get the 20% VAT off. It might also be possible to hire or lease/purchase from some dealers.

www.johnpacker.co.uk/Catalogue/Woodwind#.VMqMiV1b_3A

And John Packer currently has a Sale on:

HERE:

weegiemum Thu 29-Jan-15 19:52:02

I've found great teachers for violin, clarinet, piano and accordion on the MusicTeachers.co.uk website.

LIZS Thu 29-Jan-15 19:53:54

Does your local authority have a music/arts education department? You can usually hire an instrument through them and arrange lessons . Otherwise hire a junior sized one for a music shop. You could also look at local private school websites to see who their visiting teacher is. Even second hand you are looking to spend upwards of £800 and reeds cost from about £10 each, they get through a lot to start with.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: