Advanced search

DS shocked herself today in singing

(22 Posts)
KatyMac Wed 22-Oct-14 19:46:28

& ended up 'belting' for the first time

She was amazed by it

I can't wait to hear it grin

Ferguson Thu 23-Oct-14 20:20:51

'belting' in the appropriate setting - (but not always I hope! No, I know she won't do that).

Do we get to hear it sometime?

KatyMac Thu 23-Oct-14 20:26:54

Gosh I wrote DS - Obviously I don't have a DS

She was singing 'Almost There' from Princess & the Frog

My dad has always reckoned she would be able to belt - but we have seen very little sign of it - she must be growing up

Umm no - not yet - she needs to get a feel for it I think

MizLizLemon Thu 23-Oct-14 20:32:18

How old is she? My DDs got great pitch but can only sing at the volume of a mouses fart.

KatyMac Thu 23-Oct-14 20:38:45

16 (& a half)

She's always been OK with volume but has been a choir singer almost predominantly she can sing Alto, Mezzo, Soprano or High Soprano but struggles with the transition between them - which makes her a very useful choir member as they can slot her in wherever (plus she reads music and learns fast)

Solo is more of a challenge & she is happier a bit lower maybe Mezzo is her strongest voice - but I haven't heard this yet

She has been working on transitions for quite a while now - I do wonder if her voice is maturing a bit

Maestro Fri 24-Oct-14 18:24:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatyMac Fri 24-Oct-14 20:39:52

Hopefully as she is at a Performing Arts college it will be controlled (but possibly more New Orleans jazz rather than opera)

Ferguson Sun 02-Nov-14 19:31:41

Hi Katy -

Here are a few tracks that may be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS8Va_z-2bA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e48tmnqg5bc

Ella put out this 'single' in the mid '60s, with the Johnny Spence Orchestra. The drummer is the late Kenny Clare, perhaps the UK's best big band and 'session' drummer. He is also heard on many Cilla Black recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONsk_em1c9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0068GAAeJRQ

Something you may like to hum along to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMibKxQWRnw

And maybe something to move to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU1hm7KlfT8

KatyMac Sun 02-Nov-14 22:46:41

To do links manually look below the message/reply box underneath the emphasis list

I'll listen tomorrow (probably) I just dropped DD to college after halfterm

theposterformallyknownas Sun 02-Nov-14 22:53:26

Good for her, its a brilliant song.

DD has a ton of Disney cds she sings along to and this is one of her favourites but she doesn't belt it, she has strength though.
She has some breath control if she can manage the 16 beat note at the end.
I know because dd spent 2 weeks working up to it, with circular breathing lessons off dh.

Still looking for some folk, church, operatic or aria ideas though.
Sorry to hi jack grin

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 02-Nov-14 23:00:46

Belting is a valid technique used for particular effect in certain songs at certain times. It is very safe when done properly with the larynx in the correct position.

What most people think as belting (x factor stuff) isn't actually belting but trying to force what some some people call chest voice in a higher range.

Belt is like a happy yell in some ways. The larynx is raised & the cricoid is tilted. It is used for effect, not for a whole song.

Well done to her.

theposterformallyknownas Sun 02-Nov-14 23:08:11

Sorry, have just read back.
Please tell me you know the song, have just read you hadn't heard her yet.
Apologies if I have been tactless or insensitive. x

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 02-Nov-14 23:10:50

It's a more advanced technique do whilst it means she is maturing it also
Probably means she's becoming more technically proficient.

DramaQueenofHighCs Sun 02-Nov-14 23:16:33

theposter what do you mean by operatic arias? What sort of range?

There are loads of Gilbert and Sullivan arias that are great for young voices or maybe some Strauss, such as Die Fledermaus or something similar? Or something from Handels Messiah?

I've been singing light opera repertoire from age 15 so am happy to think of some ideas.

KatyMac Sun 02-Nov-14 23:16:45

grin

She has refused to sing for me all week sadwink

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 02-Nov-14 23:28:28

I take it she's done things like caro mio ben & similar theposter?

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 02-Nov-14 23:28:54

Voi che sapete?

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 02-Nov-14 23:29:13

Alma del core

DramaQueenofHighCs Mon 03-Nov-14 09:03:00

Ooh voi Che sapete is a GORGEOUS aria! So is Cherebino's other one! (Not got score to hand and can't for the life of me remember the title though have the tune in my head! )

theposterformallyknownas Mon 03-Nov-14 12:16:29

Pictures

Yes, she has done caro mio ben and Alma del core. She is doing voi che sapete atm for her audition for hhm grin She did O cessatte di piagarmi for her last exam.

Oh, Cherebino's other one? I will youtube to see if I can find it.

Drama Her range is low A (any lower is a strain) to about top G/A

She has tackled a bit of G&S such as Dear little buttercup and The sun whose rays, but as she is only 10 there is so much that doesn't look or sound good lyrically.

All the children's songs have long since been flogged to death and they bore her a bit now.

I just think there is so much out there that I haven't discovered yet.

Folk songs such as The last rose of Summer and church/ religious songs like John Rutter can't remember the title now.
She suits songs like Nightingale sang in Berkeley square and old songs like Sweet little alice blue gown. We'll gather lilacs, and There are fairies at the bottom of our garden.

Maestro Mon 03-Nov-14 20:28:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatyMac Mon 03-Nov-14 21:38:10

Which just goes to prove DD is so MT with a bit of pop......she could never sing stuff like that wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now