Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much use are singing lessons if you don't have a great voice to start with?

(7 Posts)
TunipTheUnconquerable Sun 28-Sep-14 20:46:44

OK, this is about 9yo dd not me.

She's just started Stagecoach (yes I know) and is loving it.
She's good at dancing and acting but she doesn't have much of a singing voice. She loves singing and as far as I can tell she's in tune, and doesn't sound awful, but she doesn't have a particularly strong voice.
How much can teaching actually make a difference? Is there a chance she'll improve with lessons, or are you basically stuck with the voice you're born with?

I'm just worrying that despite her dancing and acting she'll be condemned to the chorus in shows forever because I simply can't imagine her singing loud enough for a whole audience to hear!

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 30-Sep-14 20:27:14

I don't know anything about singing, but I would have thought that you can learn to sing, much like you can learn to play any other musical instruments (of which I do know something) or learn to run fast or jump far... And since we don't have our baby voices still I assume that one is NOT stuck with the voice one is born with ... If any of my DC want to have singing lesson I would sign them up as long as circumstances permit, despite the fact that neither of them sing particularly well atm. smile Actually all the more reason to be taught, though I doubt I can persuade them ... hmm

TunipTheUnconquerable Tue 30-Sep-14 21:01:20

Thanks, UpToAPointLordCopper smile

The way Stagecoach works is that you do an hour each of acting, singing and dancing, so she gets the lessons no matter what it will achieve. My logic was kind of a bit like yours - she's good at acting and dancing so she needs lessons and she can't sing so she definitely needs lessons!

Ferguson Thu 02-Oct-14 20:10:36

If she plays an instrument, or can start to learn (at 9 a child can probably learn keyboard from tutor books) this will expand her knowledge and interest in music.

And there is a LOT more music in the world than just pop music (though 9 yr olds might not accept that!) so listen to as WIDE a range of music as possible.

(I'll keep an eye on this, and come back with specific ideas sometime, if relevant.)

dementedma Thu 02-Oct-14 20:13:51

Think we paid £25 an hour for dd, who had a belting voice! In those days she sang lead soprano in the choir. Now she wears a purple fedora, ripped leggings and black eyeliner and fronts the band but by God she can sing!

Ferguson Sun 12-Oct-14 13:57:31

You don't seem to have moved on much -

If DD is aiming to become professional, I am sure you are all aware it is a VERY TOUGH world out there! If she is performing for fun, then just enjoy it, and get involved in as many performance opportunities as she can.

I played semi-pro drums for around forty years, but never became good enough to get professional. But I did pubs, clubs, student big bands, folk, country-rock, pantomime and musical theatre, barn dance etc. And as a Teaching Assistant I coached primary children to accompany in school performances, and ran recorder, keyboard and percussion clubs.

These days, with amplification and recording, a huge voice is not necessary. Peggy Lee, Blossom Dearie, and today Lily Allen, are not powerful singers, and there must be others who are, nevertheless, effective performers. And even a LOVELY voice is not always essential - think of Eartha Kitt or Louis Armstrong.

Playing for Old Time Music Hall, in the '70s, our pianist had several talented children, who today are prominent in the stage musical world; I knew Maria and Sonia Friedman, when they were 14 and 8 respectively.

Listen to Maria Friedman's recording of "Broadway Baby" to hear what REAL singing is!

HangingInAGruffaloStance Tue 04-Nov-14 14:05:36

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now