Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me I haven't made a big fat guitar-shaped mistake.Anyone know about guitars?

(10 Posts)
Ormirian Mon 26-Sep-11 13:16:00

DS1 wanted a new guitar for christmas. Semi-acoustic. We said 'we'll see' because we are desperately trying to save money atm. But I popped into our local music shop so I could get an idea of what we might need to spend. There was one of these reduced from £479 to £299. He was willing to give us £40 P/X for DS's very basic Encore electric guitar (second hand when he got it 2 years ago). DS1 loved it so I went ahead and paid for it.

I was a bit freaked out at the price but thought it was a really good deal (as if I'd know hmm). But looking on Google shopping it seems to be available for much cheaper than 499 in most places. I am now wondering if I've been a bit of a twat and should have carried on looking for second-hand.

giyadas Mon 26-Sep-11 13:26:38

Someone somewhere will always be selling whatever you've bought at a cheaper price, t'is sods law.
It's a very nice guitar though,and £299 is a decent price for a new one. I don't think you've been a twat.
Am very envy of your son and his new guitar.

giyadas Mon 26-Sep-11 13:28:36

btw, my Mum bought me a £300 guitar when I was about 15 and I've still got it and play daily 17 years later, so could prove to be a good investment.

Ormirian Mon 26-Sep-11 13:29:47

Thanks givadas. I appreciate the envy. Music shop blokey was laying it on a bit thick about what an amazing bargain it was so I was suspicious.

grin

Ormirian Mon 26-Sep-11 13:32:00

THanks for that too!

He won the Pop Project in his school last year with his band - they were amazing ! I just sat and watched open-mouthed. He actually SANG. On stage. In front of hundreds of people shock And their prize is to record their music at the college. I am hoping he will carry on playing and enjoying his music all his life.

reckoner Mon 26-Sep-11 13:33:08

That is a beautiful guitar.
envy
Seems a good price too.

giyadas Mon 26-Sep-11 13:37:42

That's fantastic! I wish him every success, very brave to stand up and sing. Music's a great hobby, I'd be lost without instruments around the place.
Though now you've got me looking up guitars.
I want Santa to bring me one of these grin well, it is £30 off.

BelleEnd Mon 26-Sep-11 13:38:27

Looks about right to me. And to be honest, the important thing is that your DS1 had a go and that he liked the feel of it. I have a few guitars and the cheaper ones are far nicer to play than the ££££ Fender my husband bought circa 1983 grin

Ormirian Mon 26-Sep-11 13:51:38

Thanks everyone.

givadas - call it an early christmas present to yourself wink

HoneyPablo Thu 29-Sep-11 19:55:41

It is a lovely guitar, DH would love that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now