Advanced search

REM have split up

(19 Posts)
PeneloPeePitstop Wed 21-Sep-11 19:30:30

I'm shocked and sad

official website

TheBends Wed 21-Sep-11 19:40:49

I just saw this sad

The opened my eyes to music beyond pure pop with Orange Crush and The End of the World when I was a teenager.

Though the last album of theirs I really loved was Reveal which was released quite a while ago now and I haven't listened to much of their new stuff. Still a shock though.

TheBends Wed 21-Sep-11 19:41:47

They not the. Durr

rycooler Wed 21-Sep-11 19:45:48

I grew up on their music - brilliant band sad

said Wed 21-Sep-11 19:48:51

But really, Big Wow. I mean, bands don't all hang out together all Monkees style so why do REM need to announce anything? They're hardly prolific so just get together every now and then to make and album/do a tour? It's all a bit Flouncers' Corner to me.

picnicbasketcase Wed 21-Sep-11 19:51:02

They were still together?

JentlyDoesIt Wed 21-Sep-11 19:55:05

Theyd been together 31 years, as old as me grin
They were my first Big gig in 1995 at Milton keynes bowl. Saw them again in Ipswich the day after the London bombs in 2005...

Very sad times sad that they're splitting

rycooler Wed 21-Sep-11 19:56:17

Trying to think what my favourite REM song would be - so many brilliant ones to choose from. The one I love would be in my top 3 - and losing my religion.

ShowOfHands Wed 21-Sep-11 19:58:47

Jently I saw them at Ipswich that day too. Everybody Hurts dedicated to the victims the day before was extremely emotional.

baguettecut Wed 21-Sep-11 20:00:21

Very sad.

I'm an IRS yrs girl.

rycooler Wed 21-Sep-11 20:00:56

I can't listen to everybody hurts - makes me cry.

LoveInAColdClimate Wed 21-Sep-11 20:01:11

Sad news.

natto Wed 21-Sep-11 20:43:03

A shock, but I don't think it's sad. They've had an incredible career and it's probably a good time to bow out. That said I'm definitely one of the 'old stuff was the best' fan, who hasn't actually listened to some of the later albums blush. But my teenage years were spent trying to decipher the lyrics of REM tracks, played on my crappy cassette player, and I've never been so excited about an album release as Automatic for the People. 'Drive' still gives me chills. Absolutely love the early albums though, they're just genius. Truly thankful to them for the soundtrack to an important part of my life!

CroissantNeuf Thu 22-Sep-11 20:31:51

Just saw a link to this and thought I'd share with you REM fans

Furry Happy Monsters

grin

SofaKingOld Thu 22-Sep-11 20:35:26

I thought there'd be more on here about it - i was quite sad today when I heard. REM was the sound track to my years at uni and early twenties. Especially automatic for the people.

Night swimming is my favourite song ever, but then I'm a nostalgic old fool.

I saw them in Murrayfield in 95 - fab.

CroissantNeuf Thu 22-Sep-11 20:41:46

Sofa -they were one of my faves when I was at uni too.

I was working in a record shop on Saturdays as well at the time. It was when Out of Time was released and we played in constantly in the shop.

doughnutty Thu 22-Sep-11 20:46:29

I saw them at Murrayfield too! And Loch Lomond. And Stirling Castle!
It's the end of the world was the last song at our wedding. The mums and great auntie Mary were a bit cats bum faced at the bride jumping up and down in such an undignified manner. Bugger them - it was fun!
Sad they've split but I'm a "it's better to burn out than fade away" kinda gal and they probably should've done it a wee long while ago.

AlwaysbeOpralFruitstome Thu 22-Sep-11 20:47:04

I just heard this today. I was so shocked I fainted into my curry.

That's me in the Korma.

TheDetective Thu 22-Sep-11 20:48:00

I didn't know they were still together? When was the last time they toured, or released a track/album?!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now