Talk

Advanced search

Violin as birthday present - good idea?

(11 Posts)
mizu Thu 04-Aug-11 20:16:20

Just a quick question really as I am not musical at all. Eldest dd has shown an interest in playing the piano and violin. She will be 7 on her next birthday and would LOVE to get a piano as i really fancy learning too but maybe that is too much at the moment - in our small rented house! - so thought about getting a violin. Have had a quick look at second hand and new and am confused about the different types you can get.

What do you think? And are there specific violins that are for beginners?

UC Thu 04-Aug-11 20:22:06

Personally I wouldn't buy until I saw she liked learning the violin.. Can she get lessons at school? If so, you could probably hire a violin through the school or council - certainly can at our school. That would give you an idea before you spend loads on an instrument that may gather dust.

muddyangels123nomoreHPforme Thu 04-Aug-11 20:38:01

I agree with UC.

My DD is using a 1/4 size at the moment which we purchased 2nd hand.
She has been playing for 2 years now.

For her birthday last year, she asked for a new purple violin.
So off to the music shop we went and purchased said violin. The music shop advised that within 2-3 months she would need a 1/2 size violin.
Well, over a year later DD is still using her 1/4 size as her teacher says it's easier for DD to play on.

Sorry, gone on a bit blush, if i did it again i would use the school/music loan and wait to see what size she needs/if she likes it.

I'm hoping by christmas, she will be able to use her new violin. She asks every week to take it to her lesson. sad

DD is 9, but smallest in year! grin

muddyangels123nomoreHPforme Thu 04-Aug-11 20:51:40

Just to say my DD has a Stentor student I - 1/4 size & Stentor Harlequin - 1/2 size violins.

If you go to the Stentor website it tells you the size your DD will need.
Although, i would wait and see what size the music teacher says, as sometimes a smaller size is better. ( like my DDs)

Mollyfloss Thu 04-Aug-11 20:58:12

If she really would love a piano is there any way you could get her an electric piano. They should be a lot cheaper than a real piano, take up less room, volume can be turned down and can surely be found second hand on ebay. The trick is to get one with real keys so that the fingering technique will be the same as learning on a real piano. I just think it is better to go with the instrument she would like best. (I'm a musician so I'm biased)

SpringHeeledJack Thu 04-Aug-11 21:05:28

I'd give her 6 months on a borrowed violin first

a violin is hard physical labour and can be quite unrewarding for a small child, ime (played violin for three years and still bear the scars grin )

(as do my parents, I should think)

upahill Fri 05-Aug-11 10:49:33

I think it is a bad idea.

Could be that I hate the noise beginners make learning the violin and I certainly wouldn't want that noise in my place.

Also if I was 7 I would be getting something that she wants and if it was a violin I would be buying it as an educational item rather than a birthday present.

AMumInScotland Fri 05-Aug-11 11:01:28

I'd say there's a couple of problems with getting one as a present - 1) would she really enjoy it as a present? What if she doesn't get on with it, will she feel let down? and 2) you need to get the right size, so you can't do it as a surprise.

I'd start by finding a violin teacher, and talk to them about where to get a violin and what types they suggest. They may well know of other students looking to sell an outgrown one. Most children will start witha s econdhand one - you can often get a better tone out of a pre-owned one so its better than buying new, which seems odd!

Maryz Fri 05-Aug-11 11:17:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mizu Sat 06-Aug-11 09:42:53

Thanks everyone, some great advice given and has made me think again about the violin. We have got a keyboard up in the attic that stopped working so may get that out again and see how she feels about that.

MrsSatsuma Mon 29-Aug-11 00:55:55

I was given a violin as a present when I was five. I loved it!! Over 20 years later I am still playing smile She will without doubt need lessons as well, though - it's not the sort of thing a child (or an adult) can teach themself, and she'll lose interest otherwise!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: