Talk

Advanced search

Easy instrument to learn?

(9 Posts)
rubyblue Tue 02-Aug-11 14:18:09

I'd like to take up a musical instrument and would appreciate advice on which one I should have a go at! I used to play classical guitar as a kid but always fancied piano but my mum would not let me have her old piano in the house. But, now I'm thinking of something a bit more portable or which I can play in a group (assuming I improve!). A friend suggested the flute..any other ideas? I am a total beginner!

Darnsarfupnorf Wed 03-Aug-11 00:08:25

I learned the flute at primary school, very easy! and portable too!

the clarinet is pretty protable but i dont know how easy that is to learn!

violin? ocarina? penny whistle? theres always the recorder grin

ShowOfHands Wed 03-Aug-11 00:09:42

Triangle??

I taught myself piano, uke and harmonica. All pretty easy.

rubyblue Wed 03-Aug-11 10:06:29

Blimey, showofhands, never heard piano described as easy before...have heard uke is easy but have a hankering for flute, don't know why - or trumpet! Brass bands always make me well up.
God, the recorder reminds me of school and how tuneless we all were!

roisin Wed 03-Aug-11 10:19:17

How well did you play classical guitar? Did you learn to read music well?
IME any second instrument is much easier than a first, because you've tackled the steep learning curve of all the music theory.

Flute should be OK if you're reasonably well co-ordinated.

For all instruments, if you're prepared to do regular practice - 10-15 mins daily, then you will progress quickly. If you just pick it up once a week, you won't.

ShowOfHands Wed 03-Aug-11 12:26:42

I already played violin pretty well so there was no reading music or anything to learn. And the hardest thing was going from playing by ear to actually reading the music. Piano's really easy. You get to sit down for crying out loud. grin

upahill Wed 03-Aug-11 12:33:04

I'm rubbish with music and singing.
However my friend learned to play the Saxaphone and although not easy for her she got a lot of pleasure from learning and playing.

rubyblue Thu 04-Aug-11 13:54:47

Roisin, I only played it for a couple of years at primary/early high school but learned Grade 2. Can still (badly) play a few tunes and read some of the music.

Upahill and Showofhands, I like the idea of playing for a few minutes a day as an escape from kids/work/hubbie/housework! Have lost interest in telly cos there's nothing on and although I enjoy reading, would like something else to do...it's either that or exercise hmm

slartybartfast Thu 04-Aug-11 13:57:28

a keyboard?
more portable than a piano

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now