Talk

Advanced search

The Big Man has left the building, RIP Clarence Clemons

(11 Posts)
frumpygrumpy Sun 19-Jun-11 09:34:13

Sadly he died last night.

Jeez they're going to have some great sounds at that party in the sky.

northender Sun 19-Jun-11 09:59:56

I have vivid memories of Barcelona and the throne type chair he had on stage. Just wish the kids could have seen him live. Fathers Day to be spent watching dvds I think. RIP.

RIP sad

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 19-Jun-11 12:52:42

I too have memories of seeing the E Street Band play live; best shows bar none.

Rest In Peace Big Man. You done good.

Earlybird Sun 19-Jun-11 14:25:33

I posted this on the other thread, but want to post it here too as i think it is a wonderful tribute to Clarence (I have done a cut/paste from another website):

'' I was on holiday in Tunisia when I heard the sad news of Clarence Clemons’ death and decided to celebrate his life by playing my collection of Bruce Springsteen tracks at maximum volume in my hire car as I was driving.

Tunisia, by the way, is totally safe and a superb vacation destination at the moment – 5 Star hotels at 2 Star prices; great food and hot sunshine on the beaches, rather as I know Asbury Park, New Jersey can be in the summer.

So I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about Sandy and the “waitress who had lost her desire for me” and the boardwalk music of the brilliant Boss so superbly backed by Clarence on sax and the rest of the magnificent E Street Band.

I reached the pay booth on the toll – Peage – under a pound for use of the excellent highway. 4th of July had finished and I was half way through Rosalita – that fabulous five part key change just before Clarence kicks in – and went to turn down the music which was blasting out of the car but the young cash collector indicated to turn it back up, with a huge smile. He called over a friend from another booth – there weren’t many cars on this Sunday morning. Soon a dozen Tunisians were smiling and moving to the sounds. I opened all the windows and by the climax even fat policemen in heavy uniforms were jiving and grinning and dancing. All work had stopped. Rosalita finished; I put the CD on pause; I explained that Clarence had just died. They asked for the name of the track on a piece of paper – then for Bruce’s name; they had never heard of him – one of them copied it in Arabic; then Clarence’s name.

They waved me through refusing to take my money.

I pressed the pause button; unfortunately the next track was Thunder Road, my favourite Springsteen track. After a hundred yeards, when I was out of sight of the station, I pulled the car over and burst into tears.

I was crying for the soundtrack of my life; for my friends like the late DJ Roger Scott who had shared so many great Bruce concerts with me; for the fact that I had just witnessed the joy and happiness that music can bring into every life, all over the world; and most of all for the Big Man, Clarence, whose on stage connection with Bruce had been so magic, whose contribution to the sound so enormous, whose love of life had flowed into the tracks. I was crying for the loss but mostly with gratitude for the wonderful light that had lit up the darkness at the edge of town. ''

joydivisionovengloves Mon 20-Jun-11 08:55:15

Gutted. The E-Street won't be the same without him. Jungleland without Clarence? Can't imagine it.

worldgonecrazy Mon 20-Jun-11 09:08:27

Chris Evans played Born to Run this morning - fab to drive in with the stereo blasting and the sun shining.

Back in our child-free days we would play Bruce Springsteen at 3.30 a.m. on the traffic free M5 whilst heading off for holidays in Cornwall . . . . until we realised that the loudness of Born to Run had a direct correlation with our speedometer and we were doing XXX miles per hour, oops!

RIP Clarence - some people don't have to try too hard to be a legend.

AleGabbinS Tue 21-Jun-11 10:45:52

Hello girls
I heard that Peter Andre is giving a concert this weekend... I want to buy some cheap tickets. Have you herad something?
Thanks!

joydivisionovengloves Tue 21-Jun-11 13:43:55

Why would you post about Peter Andre tickets on a thread about Clarence Clemons? That defies logic.

Timeoutofmind Sat 25-Jun-11 10:27:39

RIP big man - true legend! My Springsteen cds have had some stick over the last few days!!

frumpygrumpy Tue 28-Jun-11 13:28:30

Sorry for the belated return......

Earlybird, that was fantastic!!! Sums everything up exactly! sad and smile all at the same time.

Northy, indeed, even with a throne and a tin whistle, it made no difference to my pleasure.

Did anyone see Clarence's nephew play sax on the last tour? I was lucky enough to see a few nights and he played one of them, giving Clarence a break I guess. He was definitely a chip off the big man, truly wonderful, big hair, big smile, big talent, and I hope he has time, or the want, to tour with them. I remember Clarence saying in an interview that he doesn't always know what he's going to play on a new song......that he just waits for the moment to record it and sees what comes to him and therefore what comes out the sax. You can't buy that! But we can enjoy it still.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now