Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible for a very bad singer to learn to sing a little bit?

(6 Posts)
create Sun 12-Jun-11 17:16:42

I really really can't sing and have no musical ability whatsoever. I don't have much interest in music unless it's for dancing at a party, never had much or a record collection etc.

My voice is so bad, I don't even like singing in a football crowd.

If I had some lessons, would it be possible for me to be just OK? I have no ambition to perform, but I would like to be able to join in Happy Birthday!

How would I go about arranging lessons?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 12-Jun-11 17:27:18

Am watching with interest as my MIL once laughed at me as we all sang Happy Birthday to my DD. Cow.

Thought you might like this too.

claig Fri 17-Jun-11 14:45:05

I think so. Look at Amy Winehouse.

BeattieBow Fri 17-Jun-11 14:46:28

apparently so, my dds music teacher told me that it is possible to learn to sing to a better standard even if you think you are tone deaf. i would love to learn just to be able to sing in a choir.

DooinMeCleanin Fri 17-Jun-11 14:48:38

A singing teacher told my mum (who howls like a cat) there is no such thing as a bad singer only the wrong songs/pitch, so yes, certainly lessons would help.

My sister sings and has had lessons and says it really improves your singing because you learn how to breathe properly and how to project your voice better as well as being advised on which songs/pitches suit your vocal abilities.

I can't sing for toffee, but I don't care. I love catcalling singing and I will bloody well sing if I want to, so nur. grin

daimbardiva Tue 12-Jul-11 16:38:02

Yes, it is. I sing in a Community Choir - there are no auditions, but we sound great! Look up the Natural Voice Practitioners' webiste and see if there is a similar choir near you, or someone who you could have lessons with if you'd feel more comfortable with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now