Talk

Advanced search

Anybody play guitar as a hobby?

(4 Posts)
IamnotStiller Mon 22-Nov-10 15:37:05

I started guitar lessons as a teenager but never got to a brilliant standard, still like to pick up my guitar and practise though. I have now invested in a new one and am pondering over taking lessons or maybe joining a group or glass or something to learn new stuff. Just wondering if anybody could offer any advice. I can do the basic chords and read music to a degree - only ever done it for my own 'pleasure' and certainly not planning on appearing on stage. blush

purepurple Mon 22-Nov-10 19:24:28

I don't. But DH does. Like you he dabbleda bit as a teenager. then I bought him a guitar for his fortieth.he collected more guitars and then started lessons. he has been going every sat for about 2 years. He has learnt so much, and he really enjoys it.But he would never appear on stage, unless he was very drunk.
The place he goes to is run as a charity with lottery funding, so is good value for money.
Why don't you join a local group and just give it a go?

indigobarbie Sun 05-Dec-10 21:52:12

I do. Going to a group could be a really good experience whereby you get to mix with other musos, and you can see if you like the group first. Sometimes though, others can be at such different levels and it can be off putting. I mean that in the nicest possible way - I was put off doing a music degree as everyone was so ego driven, and had to be show offs - I wasn't interested in that side of it, I just wanted to do it for me - but never did

Anyways, one to one lessons can be much more focused and allow you to concentrate on certain areas at a time, you might find you get more from these. It means you have the monopoly of the teacher and can ask any questions and get answers straight away!

I did Mel Bay guitar method when I was younger, there are probably tons more out there now though. That's not to say that you have to follow what is in books. I'd even take along some music that you want to learn and take it from there?

It's such a great thing to be able to play and be interested in a musical instrument, godo luck in your journey

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Mon 06-Dec-10 09:10:55

I'm learning it (a lot faster than I would normally I think because I am learning with dd and she is a dragon about getting them out and practising etc).

I think a group of some kind would be good, even just a short group course, get you into the swing of things? Or have a few lessons with a friend and play together?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: