Talk

Advanced search

ASD or ADHD

(10 Posts)
Kaypee28 Sat 25-Jan-20 22:07:12

So in the middle of getting my son (5) a diagnosis. And because he's like a carbon copy of me I'm now wondering if I have whatever it is. I'll name some traits....

Very impulsive. Especially with money, waiting to hear back from things. If I want something I need to get it that second or job applications I need to hear back straight away.

No patience. Driving or waiting in a Que like a till or bank machine, it gives me the rage if people are slow.

Sensitive to noise, repetition noises annoy the life out of me and in a nosy room I can't concentrate on one person.

If I find something boring I have no concentration to Finnish it.

If I have too much to do I get nothing done and am often told I'm lazy.

I'm a messy person

My head never stops with thoughts and I can never switch off to go to sleep

I can often sit and chill but have to be always moving, shaking my foot or playing with my hair.

I'm a socially awkward person would rather be on my on or if I'm in a social environment it drains me.

I have crazy high anxiety and worry about everything and anything.

Runbikeswim Sat 25-Jan-20 22:09:17

Could be ADHD but you can get assessed properly, I did.

Kaypee28 Sat 25-Jan-20 22:22:11

@Runbikeswim how do I go about that?

Kaypee28 Mon 27-Jan-20 09:26:00

Bump

WeirdPookah Wed 29-Jan-20 10:03:10

Go to your GP as an initial contact. Have ready your list and most importantly how and why it is affecting your quality of life. They will refer you into the system.

Christmaspug Fri 31-Jan-20 18:16:59

I’m in the same boat ,wondering if it’s autism adhd or bipola ..I’ve got doctors this week to discuss

TheLadyAnneNeville Tue 18-Feb-20 09:31:16

I have an adult diagnosis of Aspergers. Much of what you describe, I “do” and “have”.

The only thing you can do is see your GP and ask for referral.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 18-Feb-20 09:35:05

I have those symptoms and I have ADHD. Should have said had - now much much better thanks to atomoxetine and mindfullness meditation. So the drugs help but also being aware of your thought process and that it’s not “normal”. Feel like a new (normal) person now.

YesAnastasia Sun 05-Apr-20 16:21:53

I have ADD and am very much the way you describe. I have 2 autistic children (one with ADD too) and an autistic husband and they are completely different to me.

The problem is when you're focussing on behaviour that way, it's difficult to separate. For example, DH is messy but doesn't think he is because he's in his own mind. I know I am messy, struggle to.otganise my life and it causes me great distress constantly trying. He doesn't give a shit and when I tell him he's been particularly messy he says he isn't and why an I saying it because I'm so messy confused So what we're looking at there is EQ and the motivation is the difference.

The impulsivity isn't there with any of them but it is with me. The obsession and the lack of patience however is present in all of us. With them it is about having a need met. They want it and the delay is very frustrating for them. It's a control issue and having to rely on something/someone else for their own 'happiness' makes my husband especially, very uncomfortable (because he can't control that 'other')

The sensory issues are a definite cross over. And in ASC, it is defined by there being an distinction. Either Hypersensitivity or Hypo-sensitivity appear in ASC. My DH and DS2 like touch, the feel of soft fabrics, dislike loud noises, strong smells and are extremely squeamish. Me and DS1 (with ADD) don't crave physical contact, soft materials and probably wouldn't even notice a scratchy label. This ties into the interoception sense where neither of us feel the need to use the toilet until the last minute, know when we're hungry or even recognise if we have side effects from medicine. The other two are extremely aware of the signals their bodies are telling them.

Anyway, I'm bored so I'm sorry I've rambled on. This is the reason a full assessment needs to be undertaken by someone who understands all this. If you take a quiz, it will remain confusing because there is a big overlap with behaviours but not with motivation.

Good luck x

Kaypee28 Sun 05-Apr-20 22:49:20

Thank you @YesAnastasia that's very helpful x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »