Talk

Advanced search

Autism assessment prep

(10 Posts)
Volcanite Fri 17-May-19 20:54:44

I could do with some help. I have my first appointment with the adult autism assessment team on Tuesday. I feel I should make some notes to take with me but don't know where to start. I think of things but forget to write them down and then the 'thought' is lost.

I don't know what questionnaire(s) they use. I'm not taking a family member. I'm feeling so fearful that I will forget to mention something pertinent and I'll be marked as a timewaster. I always procrastinate and as ever have left this to the last minute.

Can anyone who has been through assessment give me some ideas of what to expect. My dd had asd diagnosed when she was 5 but I wasn't in the room for most of her assessments so nothing to draw on from that. I have very little memory of childhood. I just don't want to be dismissed because I can't remember and then articulate my thoughts on the day. I am very demand avoidant so the anxiety is really rising now.

Imoverthinkingit Mon 20-May-19 08:54:36

I’m not diagnosed but didn’t want to leave you with no replies. You could bring your answers/result from the AQ50 and RAADS-R tests (available online but I think you need memory of childhood for the RAADS-R). Write down areas in which you are struggling (sensory, communication, executive function, give examples) and print off this list and tick the things that apply. the-art-of-autism.com/females-and-aspergers-a-checklist/

Also check this link: www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/adults.aspx

Good luck for tomorrow

Branleuse Mon 20-May-19 09:06:47

I just winged it. It was actually quite a nice experience. They were really calm and it didnt feel hard to answer their questions, even though I was stressed in the run up because it meant a lot to me. I even told them that I just knew I was whether they agreed with me or not

Trinpy Mon 20-May-19 20:07:52

Hope all goes well with your assessment tomorrow *@Volcanite*.

I've read about some people who write pages and pages about themselves to take with them so nothings missed. I'm not diagnosed but should hopefully be having my assessment within the next couple of months and I think I'm probably just going to turn up and see what happens. If you feel afterwards that there was key information you missed out you could always email the assessor afterwards?

Volcanite Mon 20-May-19 21:30:29

Urgh, I did a long reply but it hasn't posted.

Thanks for the links and pointers. I also posted on chat so have some ideas from there. I'm going to try and relax a bit instead of hyperfocussing on giving the perfect answers that cover every possible angle. Thanks again flowers

Branleuse Mon 20-May-19 22:21:19

relax. Its nice, cos you dont have to bother masking. In fact masking is the last thing you want to do, and thats quite liberating.

Trinpy Tue 21-May-19 12:20:26

Let us know how you get on smile

Volcanite Wed 22-May-19 20:49:40

I had an hour long session that went through what to expect and some history. I was given a couple of questionnaires to do at home. I have two more two hour appointments next month so a bit of a wait to get to the end of the process. It was with one person so that made it feel less stressful.

Trinpy Thu 23-May-19 19:37:13

Glad it went ok Volcanite. Next month isn't long to wait at all.

I think my assessment (if the day ever comes...) will be all in one day, which sounds quite intense. It seems much less stressful breaking it up into 3 sessions like yours is.

Volcanite Wed 07-Aug-19 21:26:51

Turns out it was a DISCO assessment, I had a total of nine hours of interviews and six weeks later got the letter confirming Aspergers so eight months from GP appointment to diagnosis.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »