Talk

Advanced search

Certain I have Dyspraxia - now what?

(3 Posts)
SchnizzleNo2 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:35:59

Whilst I'm waiting for a paediatrician appointment for my DS to be assessed for SEN I've been doing a lot of research and reading. I've had a complete lightbulb moment when reading about dyspraxia - it explains everything, possibly for my DS but definitely for me. I cried because I found there could be a reason why I'm 'different' (I used to fall off chairs for no reason as a child and I'm still very clumsy, can't do sports/ride a bike, can't organise sentences and other speech problems, can't organise my time, easily get anxious, always getting lost even in familiar places...the list goes on, I tick nearly all the boxes).

But now what? I mentioned it my doctor and he said that the "horse has already bolted - I've managed very well this far so nothing they can do and no point in getting a diagnoses". I'm 40 and quite highly qualified so in a way I can see why he said this.

I mentioned it to my DH and he dismissed it and said I'm always looking to label things and every one has difficulties in different areas of their life. I mentioned it to my mum and she also dismissed it - even though she knows how much I struggled growing up.

I just feel really frustrated that I may have some answers but I don't have any one to talk to and there's nothing I can do about it.

So I guess what I'm asking is - has anyone been diagnosed with dyspraxia as an adult? How did you go about it and did it help? Or do I just put it down to one of those things and carry on as I am?

MumUnderTheMoon Sat 27-Apr-19 00:14:51

Your doc isn't wrong. My dds OT said a very similar thing and she is only 11. You are probably very set in your ways and there is little that could be done now in terms of helping with spacial awareness and fine motor skills. I also have dyspraxia I've known for years but only had a formal assessment done because I am on disability benefits and they have changed recently. It was no longer enough for me to explain how I was affected without also having the specific diagnosis. So if you are applying for benefits get a private assessment done and if not then go online to look for coping skills. Simple things can make a big difference. Most of my clothes don't have buttons etc because I find them difficult. As much as I can I get shoes with Velcro or zips for the same reason. I make lots of lists. I am obsessive with my calendar and set alerts and alarms for everything. I keep a very organised house. Everything has a place I am obsessed with storage boxes. I set out mine and dds clothes shoes and jackets etc the night before. I always leave at least an hour to get any where.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Sun 05-May-19 13:10:26

I've just been assessed as an adult as probably having both ASD and dyspraxia.

I've now been referred for more in depth assessment of my ASD but the clinical psychologist who did the assessment told me that there's no NHS service for dyspraxia because there's no real treatment for it.

She said I could go for diagnosis privately if I wanted to, and that some people found just having a diagnosis was helpful. However there still wasn't any treatment. I can't afford private treatment, but even if I could a diagnosis alone doesn't seem worth pursuing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »