Talk

Advanced search

ADHD

(20 Posts)
tobee Fri 15-Mar-19 16:16:02

So my daughter has been diagnosed as having high functioning autism. She's seeing a counsellor. In today's session the possibility of her being tested for ADHD came up.

I looked at a website that had a test. I thought I'd test my self. I came out at 100% inattentive and 30% hyperactive. Obviously just a website.

The thing is both dd & I were both hyperactive when young (especially dd) but now are almost the opposite. But are still both inattentive.

Anyone else the same? Used to be hyperactive but now not at all? Is this common?

Allfednonedead Tue 19-Mar-19 13:17:40

I believe so. The pop psych view is that an adult’s hyperactivity is mostly internalised.

FWIW I was diagnosed last year and it’s been life-changing.

tobee Sun 24-Mar-19 13:48:49

Thanks for your response @Allfednonedead

chipsandgin Mon 25-Mar-19 10:13:05

I wasn't hyperactive - but when I did the test my son had done when he was being diagnosed (aged 13) for primarily inattentive ADD I got 100%.

I took it to the doctors and said I didn't think he could have it as the test couldn't be accurate & he then gave us both referrals! I have since been tested, diagnosed and medicated and it has been life changing. Also amazing and such a relief to find out why I am the way I am (& not stupid, lazy or useless! There is a brilliant book with a similar title and lots of resources on adult ADHD).

Women tend to present as primarily inattentive - my son is very like me (in terms of the way his brain works) & has not had the behavioural problems associated with hyperactivity, but he does have the leg jiggling and is very uncomfortable if he has to sit down for long periods - especially if it is something he is not interested or engaged in (although would game for hours - hyperfocus), so there is an aspect of hyperactivity. I think on the whole the hyperactivity, if you have it, can be controlled to a degree because you can rationalise that certain behaviours are unacceptable and train yourself out of them, however the disorganisation, procrastination, forgetfulness, mess, and chaos are harder to overcome (at least that is my experience). Totally worth a referral for you if it is something you are interested in?

tobee Mon 25-Mar-19 12:36:29

Thanks @chipsandgin . Can ask about the medication? What it does and any side effects? I looked it up. There same to be a few types. I was interested in how it helps with inattentive behaviour. Thanks again

tobee Mon 25-Mar-19 12:36:59

Sorry for typos

chipsandgin Mon 25-Mar-19 21:54:11

I have Elvanse (much more info on the internet about it from the US where it is called Vyvanse). It is a slow release ADHD medication, taken daily which has an effect for 12-14 hours.

The science stuff is here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisdexamfetamine

There is a quote I read recently which sums up the way my ADD brain works, very familiar, made me laugh anyway:

"My mind is like my internet browser. 19 tabs are open, 3 are frozen and I have no idea where the music is coming from"

The medication brings focus, I can concentrate on one thing, I don't procrastinate, I can remember to do things, my house is tidier, my relationship is better, I'm less overwhelmed & happier and way more organised. I'm not suddenly perfect by any means but this is what it must feel like to have a normal brain that doesn't sabotage your every move! Once you have the medication it's more like having three tabs open, you know what they are and you are only working in one at at time!

Elvanse is amphetamine based, which is off putting as there is a pre-conception of the effect of amphetamines - but these are low dose and slow release, plus if you have ADD your brain is wired differently - this medication might have a different effect on a 'normal' brain - in an ADD brain it just makes you calmer and more together - literally brings everything into focus and takes away the chaos.

Side effects can be insomnia, anxiety (I just had to look them up as I haven't had any!) - when starting the medication I was very well screened prior and well monitored to make sure they were suitable etc. Hope that is helpful! Good luck..

DeloresJaneUmbridge Mon 25-Mar-19 21:57:38

I have ADHD, was diagnosed officially a week ago. I have Concerta at the moment and am taking a half dose which I am supposed to doubke up after a week.
I am having treatment for raised BP though so am holding off doubling it until I’ve seen my GP and told her the diagnosis,

I had a private assessment which included a Qb test and detailed history. The Qb test showed huge deficits in attention, impulsiveness and movement.

DeloresJaneUmbridge Mon 25-Mar-19 21:58:52

The medication is amazing. I feel focused and clear headed for the first time ever....and at the age of 53 that’s heart wrenching as I wish I’d known earlier in life.

Haworthia Mon 25-Mar-19 22:00:28

I tick a LOT of boxes for inattentive ADHD. A lot. But I don’t really know what to do about it. I’m 38 and I’m a SAHM. I kind of think the window of opportunity for diagnosis and meds was over 15 years ago. Or that I’d feel like I’d wasted all my adult life functioning badly so why stop now?!

Am I catastrophising? grin

Having said that, lately I feel like I’m worse and I’m struggling to even read a paragraph without my eyes trying to travel faster than my brain can process the words, if that makes sense.

Can anyone recommend an online test because I’m really curious and have never taken one (I’ve taken plenty of autism tests and score pretty highly too confused)

TansyViola Mon 25-Mar-19 22:04:35

There was an episode of Horizon recently about ADHD. Rory Bremner was in it as he thought he may have it and they confirmed he probably did during the filming. I think he said he was hyperactive when young but just inattentive as an adult

tobee Mon 25-Mar-19 23:36:58

I feel a bit sad to think about my young self. If I do have it. I always felt compared to my older high achieving sister. Told I was bright but must be lazy and/or naughty because I didn't achieve academically.

I also talked a lot. It used to feel almost like a physical stress to not speak as I always had something to say grin. Does that sound familiar? Or maybe I was just obnoxious!

tobee Mon 25-Mar-19 23:37:54

Yes I saw that programme Tansy

chipsandgin Sat 30-Mar-19 09:04:50

@Haworthia I was 45 when I was diagnosed, so I’d say 38 is definitely not too late!

www.additudemag.com/adhd-symptoms-test-adults/

@tobee the impulse to talk is a massive thing - even with primarily inattentive you can have a sprinkling of impulsive/reckless etc (it explains a lot for me historically - although not all bad, I’ve had a lot of fun!!). I do feel a bit sad for younger me - but the relief of knowing why I am the way I am was huge.

howmanyleftfeet Sat 30-Mar-19 09:14:43

I'm mid 40s and have just been diagnosed. I plan to have a lot of living to do still! When you're 80 you'll look back on your 30-something self and think."goodness I was so young!". Age definitely not a reason not to seek diagnosis IMO.

howmanyleftfeet Sat 30-Mar-19 09:17:28

YY to talking a lot! Also being impulsive and taking risks. My behaviour in my teens and 20s was hair-raising, looking back. Thank goodness my parents don't know the half of it!

Pieandsky Mon 01-Apr-19 01:40:04

This is really encouraging. I first thought I might have ADD when I was struggling in a job. I got a better manager, learnt the job more, have managed to cope. When stressed though it all goes to pot. Lots of signs - my degree nearly killed me.

I am wondering if I am on the ASD spectrum too. DM is HFA/Aspergers (undiagnosed).

From reading this I think an ADD diagnosis would probably make the most difference.

Anyone have both?

Haworthia Mon 01-Apr-19 18:51:08

@Pieandsky I score highly for both inattentive ADHD and ASD, I think. Some days I would struggle to say which affected my daily life most!

I mean, I definitely have never struggled with impulsiveness or recklessness or talking too much. I’m just very inattentive smile I’m very reserved, introverted and prone to anxiety. I guess that cancels out any propensity to hyperactive traits.

Thanks to everyone who says it isn’t too late. I’ll have to consider making a GP appointment I suppose, although part of me think I’ll look like I’m making a fuss over nothing.

howmanyleftfeet Mon 01-Apr-19 19:09:38

I score low for ASD but I have a diagnosis for ADHD (innatentive).

DS has a diagnosis for ASD but I reckon he's got ADHD too.

tobee Mon 08-Apr-19 22:01:24

Any find that their symptoms ares getting worse with age?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »