Talk

Advanced search

ASD disclosure a work?

(8 Posts)
KeysToTheCastle Sat 29-Dec-18 14:03:49

Hi again!

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience on disclosure?

I don't know what to do... a)It would explain why I am utter rubbish at some tasks, why I practically hit the ceiling when someone interrupts me when I'm focused (freaks them out!), why I don't feel compelled to provide superfluous information/details about my life, etc. B)it feels like I'm making excuses for being crap.

My coach / psychotherapist has offered to write me a supporting letter should I go down this route which may or may not be helpful. He claims it is but I'm afraid it comes under 'excuses for being crap '.

Or maybe it could support my efforts to get systems in place to help me complete the tasks I screw up.

So any real life experiences of how disclosing has helped/hindered/impacted employment would be hugely helpful.

Thanks!

tobee Sat 29-Dec-18 20:17:48

Hmmm.

I haven't got any advice really but, as a mother of someone diagnosed asd, my 23 dd, saying "excuses for being crap" makes me feel sad. Because the things asd people find difficult/impossible isn't because they are crap. It just illustrates to me that people are at a huge disadvantage if they have hidden disabilities. Not only do those who are ill informed neurotypicals not understand, their attitudes contribute to low self esteem in those on the autistic spectrum.

There's a glaring gap in understanding.

Mischiefinthewind Sat 29-Dec-18 20:23:26

DD disclosed, but she’s very articulate about the positives she brings to the job, and good at being clear about what triggers cause her problems and what needs to happen to resolve things. Yes, she has had a few colleagues thinking she’s weird, or going OTT trying to help, but all in all, it’s worked out more positive than not.

tobee Sat 29-Dec-18 22:39:36

Can I asked how you found a coach/psychotherapist please? Dd and I can't work out how she can find one who would be fully able to understand how asd people can present differently to non asd people.

Mischiefinthewind Sat 29-Dec-18 22:49:53

She went through her GP to access CBT, but our doctors’ practice is particularly good at their job. National Autistic Society often has useful advice, and she found Tony Attwood’s books helpful.

KeysToTheCastle Sun 30-Dec-18 00:26:05

Tobee... thanks for responding. You sound lovely! I can't even imagine telling anyone in my family that I've been diagnosed let alone imagine them being anything but hateful. I think one good point you raised was about understanding how one with ASD presents differently and being able to articulate it.

KeysToTheCastle Sun 30-Dec-18 00:46:01

And Mischief! Jeez... Sorry, I'm on my phone and without being able to flip back and forth between the posts and what I'm jabbing out on the screen I forget what was said by whom...

I think I need to tell work but I've only just found out myself and I don't even know yet how I present.

I'm not in the UK but found a coach privately (in Canada so sort of similar health care system) via the internet. It's not like there was many to choose from though. Going the GP route can be very hit and miss as some psychotherapists/counsellors know absolutely nothing about ASD. Ie. the one at my gp practice is extremely dismissive/minimizing saying, "I feel everyone has their little quirks." Spending most of my time feeling like my head is going to explode is NOT a 'quirk'.

A group like Aspergers UK may be able to help find a coach?

MumUnderTheMoon Thu 17-Jan-19 21:34:39

I just tell everyone I interact with if it's at all relevant to our interactions. Employers, daughters school etc it really doesn't have to be a big deal just a fact of who you are.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: