Talk

Advanced search

25 and being referred for autism diagnosis

(8 Posts)
maybe2018 Sat 24-Nov-18 10:42:33

I'm 25, good job, just started university, 8 year old DS.

Only recently I have been thinking how different I learn and think to others
I work with special needs, learning difficulties and now I'm getting older I'm realising how autistic I think I am
I cannot look at a document full of words without getting so angry and frustrated because no matter how much I read- nothing registers!!!
I am sometimes inappropriate in new situations with new people...as heartbreaking as it is to say- I have also recently understood how awful this is and how I don't deal with social situations well.

Is being 25 and under question for autism as bad as it sounds?
House, job, car, normal life on paper, but inside I am heartbroken at how my days end and what goes on in my head.

Goandplay Sat 24-Nov-18 10:45:01

Oh lovely. Doesn’t sound bad to me. It sounds positive. Just think if you had a diagnosis and you understood why somethings feel the way they do? I think it can only be positive. You’re still you. That won’t change. Look at everything you’ve achieved already in life!

maybe2018 Sat 24-Nov-18 10:50:05

Having a diagnosis would answer a lot of questions. I suffer with OCD with my house and how angry I get with the fact it's not exactly how I want it to be at this moment.

I could go on and on about how this is affecting me.
I feel sorry for myself for being 25 when I could of spoke out sooner about how alien I feel....

I can only turn this into a negative though, I guess! Autism is very special but I don't refer someone like myself as special if I do get a diagnosis....sounds nasty of me but I don't want to be labelled, I guess I could keep it to myself but it'll be hard as I can't hold my own p*ss

BlackeyedGruesome Sat 24-Nov-18 11:17:22

Darling, I m nearly double your age, also seeking diagnosis. Doing it now at 25 is a lot better than waiting til you are in your forties and have nearly half a century of not knowing why you don't fit in.

The few people ihave talked to about it have really appreciated their diagnosis. They have found they have coped til they got older then found it more difficult to mask and cope.

Getting a diagnosis also bring s you protection from the equalities act.

You might need that later

toffee1000 Sat 24-Nov-18 22:27:36

I was diagnosed last year at 22. Someone else I know was diagnosed recently and they’re about your age.

There are lots of women in their 30s/40s/50s getting diagnosed. They’ve managed to muddle along somehow but with a feeling of something not being “right”. Often they recognise ASD in themselves whilst their child is going through the process.

My life is also ok on paper. Went to good schools and university, good upbringing in a middle class London suburb, etc. I only really noticed how different I was when I was 11 and moved to secondary school. I was very lucky in that I wasn’t bullied, I just noticed that I wasn’t like the others/not into the same things and had problems socially too (mainly being too scared to talk to people). Then as I grew older the sense of being different stayed, I felt people wouldn’t want to be friends with me because I was weird. I made the sum total of two friends at university, and one of those was because she talked to me rather than the other way round. I’ve had instances of wanting to befriend someone but my anxiety said no, they’ll think you’re weird, and the opportunity passed and I won’t see them again.

RangeRider Sun 25-Nov-18 20:38:37

Doing it now at 25 is a lot better than waiting til you are in your forties and have nearly half a century of not knowing why you don't fit in.
This, with tinsel on ^^ (And fairy lights)

staffiegirl Tue 27-Nov-18 11:59:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 27-Nov-18 23:42:03

good to hear staffie as I am getting to be similar age. waiting diagnosis, with my tinsel and fairy lights

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »