Talk

Advanced search

Autism Support Units?

(3 Posts)
OnePotato2Potato Sun 04-Nov-18 22:16:54

Hi,

I'm looking for clarification please. I have recently come to the realization that I might have ASD. (Initially I had thought I was an introvert, then a highly sensitive person, now am considering ASD confused my mind is all over the place!)

I'm considering going to a GP to get a diagnosis but just happened to come across an article written by Alexis Quinn

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6349939/Mother-reveals-drugged-suicidal-diagnosed-autism.html

I am an anxious person anyway but this terrified me. Is this realistic?

What is the benefit of getting a diagnosis? When I was reading up online it felt like finally someone actually understood what it was like in my mind.

Will having a diagnosis get social workers involved in my life if they think it could affect my parenting?

Thank you for reading

wictional Tue 06-Nov-18 13:55:57

Hi,

I am the same as you, and got my diagnosis this summer. Not had an awful experience like that poor woman though; hopefully that’s very rare!

MumUnderTheMoon Tue 06-Nov-18 23:57:20

What happened to that lady was disgusting though we do only know one side of the story I suppose. I can't imagine that what happened to her is common. Realistically people with serious mental health conditions and suicidal ideation can get treatment in a unit so it seems unlikely that you will get locked up after being diagnosed with autism. I had to remind myself of this after that particular article.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »