Talk

Advanced search

Do you homeschool or have you considered homeschooling for your DC aged 12 or older? Take this survey - £300 and £200 vouchers to be won

(33 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

YanaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Sep-19 09:56:43

We are working with an education provider who would like to find out what you think about your child(ren) taking GSCEs and A Levels outside of school - often referred to as “homeschooling” or "home education".

This survey is open to all UK MNers with at least one child aged 12 or older.

Click here to start the survey.

All MNers who complete it will be entered into the prize draw where one winner will win a £300 voucher and a second winner will win a £200 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks
MNHQ
Insight Terms and Conditions apply

PieceOfPaper Tue 10-Sep-19 18:13:18

I must have accidentally pressed complete without putting in my email address blush I can't go back to add it either - it just tells me that I've already completed the survey.

ColdTattyWaitingForSummer Tue 10-Sep-19 18:28:44

Probably worth pointing out that the correct UK terminology is home education. (It might seem pedantic, but if you’re marketing a product to a specific community, it’s worth getting these things right).

isittheholidaysyet Tue 10-Sep-19 18:36:52

I was about to say that. The preferred UK term is home education, rather than home schooling.

(I have noticed that home schooling tends to be used for EOTAS and home education for elective home eduation (EHE)

itsstillgood Tue 10-Sep-19 18:48:21

Was about to say the same as above, home education is the preferred term in the UK.

CarrieErbag Tue 10-Sep-19 19:45:18

It does say 'often referred to as homeschooling'
I never get why people get so antsy about it.

CarrieErbag Tue 10-Sep-19 19:48:31

Duh, I think I've used my non mumsnet e-mail address.

ConfusedMUM4 Wed 11-Sep-19 01:59:43

I didn't understand when I first started but now since someone took the time to explain I now use the term home ed all the time out of respect for their fight. The reason people get antsy about it is because home schooling gives people the idea you are creating a school in the home this caused LEA's to seek a school in the home for every home educated child. The home ed community years ago worked hard to re brand using the term home education to make the world see that home is the base but education can take many forms. Which is true of home ed as it's down to the parents to tailor an education fit for their child. It can be in the form of books and tutors but it can equally be out in the community in sports lessons, science sessions in the community centers, skating at the ice rink, history lesson in the museum's, geography in the country you are learning about. In another country they use the term individual education. Whatever you call it one thing is for sure for every child being home educated there was a need the school was unable to met and that was serious enough for the parents to make this option the only option that could. Nobody goes into home ed lightly, it's private education, it's expensive, it takes effort its never an easy option. With academies getting their money directly from government rather than via LEAs I expect to see more and more kids with SEN being home educated to get the education they need.

queenjr Wed 11-Sep-19 02:36:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AGnu Wed 11-Sep-19 08:46:07

Is this only open to people with children who are over 12 now or can those with under 12s answer if they're planning to HE past 12y?

Doobydoo Wed 11-Sep-19 19:00:33

I started survey and then decided not to complete it. I do not know who the 'education provider' is and found the questions not really relevant to us.

thaegumathteth Wed 11-Sep-19 22:14:57

It's not really open to UK residents given that not all of the Uk study for a levels and GCSEs and there's no option outwith those?

lillypopdaisyduke Thu 12-Sep-19 16:29:00

@PieceOfPaper try and open the survey again in another web browser - it should work and give you the chance to complete fully - its a great survey, which I am interested in the results for (even though I have not completed)

PieceOfPaper Thu 12-Sep-19 16:34:27

Thanks @lillypopdaisyduke

BadPoet Thu 12-Sep-19 21:07:38

@thaegumathteth - home ed children in Scotland typically do have to do GCSEs and A-levels though. (Assuming Scottish by your use of 'outwith'!)

thaegumathteth Fri 13-Sep-19 06:43:29

I took the question to be about their time in school though. Might've misread.

ColdTattyWaitingForSummer Fri 13-Sep-19 12:22:57

Agree @BadPoet, we’re in Scotland and my sons sat / will sit international GCSEs as private candidates.

Liara Fri 13-Sep-19 14:24:15

What if my home ed child is not doing GCSEs or A levels? There should be an option to reflect that.

Liara Fri 13-Sep-19 14:25:29

Badpoet - I don't know about in Scotland, but in England they don't. Universities accept other qualifications as well, so even if they want to apply to university they don't have to.

CarrieErbag Fri 13-Sep-19 14:57:44

If your child isn't doing the exams mentioned then the survey isn't for you.
It's not a survey about home ed in general, it's about specific exams.

Liara Fri 13-Sep-19 15:00:44

Should be made clear on the title...

SlowDown76mph Sun 15-Sep-19 09:29:58

This is a rather flawed and clumsy survey, and shows a degree of ignorance about home-education in the UK.

Botanicum Mon 16-Sep-19 07:44:58

I couldn’t fill it in, it was all about exam study- not relevant to a 12 yr old. Clearly looking to market to those educating outside the home/ relying on external providers.

LivingInLaputa Mon 16-Sep-19 12:45:03

Thanks, have completed. And changed my email address on the account 🙈

I put over twelve for DD, as there was only the option for under 12 or over 12.

WindsweptEgret Mon 16-Sep-19 19:10:18

Done

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »