Talk

Advanced search

MNHQ here: How much does it cost you to kit your children out for going back to school? Take our survey - £100 voucher to be won

(13 Posts)
YanaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 23-Aug-19 11:42:12

It's that time of the year again when holidays are almost over and it's time to think about getting your DC ready to go back to school.
We at Mumsnet want to find out how much it costs you to kit out a child for school this term.

This survey is open to UK parents with at least one child who is attending an external school (ie not home-schooled).

Click here to complete the survey.

All who complete the survey will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
MNHQ
Insight Terms and Conditions apply

munchbunch12 Sat 24-Aug-19 19:50:37

Done!

torthecatlady Sat 24-Aug-19 22:17:53

Done

bananajelly Tue 27-Aug-19 14:44:54

Done smile

MrsLJ2014 Tue 03-Sep-19 08:57:36

Done!

drspouse Wed 04-Sep-19 13:20:22

I've done it, non-uniform school for DS which is fabulous.
He will manage perfectly well on the same things he had for weekends/holidays without any additional school stuff. We got him a couple of extra pairs of trousers due to growth but you can get much better quality second hand for the same price and I much prefer to buy second hand anyway.

Sleephead1 Thu 05-Sep-19 18:53:07

Done

CrapTVAddict Fri 06-Sep-19 16:35:39

Done smile

WordInYourShellLike Mon 09-Sep-19 18:19:40

Done smile
Wanted to add my experience as it's not exactly standard. DS did go into Year 8 this year, so last year was a bit different, with some clothing expenses such as shoes and a few shirts, but this year I've spent absolutely nothing, partly because he hadn't grown much but also because lovely friends are always happy to pass on their own children's hand-me-downs and I'm very happy and grateful to receive them. Especially blazers and the mandatory school logo rugby shirt (which alone would have cost £22!). It's outrageous that parents are expected to pay for these things and it shouldn't be allowed. DS's school is also an academy so there isn't even any help available from the local authority. There is no way we could afford these items on top of all the non-clothing items required by the school.

theendofsummer Mon 09-Sep-19 20:34:41

Done. Can't wait to see the poll results .
Parents/carers get plenty of time to plan for uniforms.

BlackeyedGruesome Mon 09-Sep-19 21:38:33

You don't get time to plan when they change the uniform. I had all second hand for both DC til they changed everything: trousers socks blazers tie, pe kit,

drspouse Mon 09-Sep-19 22:23:41

You also don't get time to plan when the school your DC is at tells you they have to leave and you look at 8 other schools before finding one that's suitable...

BlackeyedGruesome Mon 09-Sep-19 22:55:28

oh, and they waited until after secondary schools had been applied for and allocated so you are stuck and making decisions on last year's uniform.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »