Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet user who has experienced pregnancy loss since June 2016? Please take our survey

(32 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 04-Dec-18 13:45:06

Hello,

This is our regular two-yearly survey looking at women's experiences of miscarriage care in the UK.

The Mumsnet Miscarriage Care campaign has run since 2010 and its aims are to ensure that all miscarrying women, and all women experiencing other forms of pregnancy loss, get the good, respectful, empathetic care that they need. You can read more about the campaign here. In the past we've had successes such as getting the post-miscarriage surgical procedure renamed, after lots of you said that you found the old terminology upsetting. But, of course, we want to keep the pressure on for better services and care.

Although our campaign is principally about miscarriage care, many aspects also apply to other forms of pregnancy loss, such as ectopic pregnancies that are ended by medical treatment, or stillbirths. Women who have experienced these since June 2016 are very welcome to fill in the survey. Apologies in advance if some of the questions aren't appropriate to your situation, but there should always be an option for you to say that something isn't applicable to you.

Because the aim of the survey is partly to compare results with previous surveys and see what (if any) changes there have been, we're asking only women who have experienced pregnancy loss since June 2016 to fill this one in.

We know that pregnancy loss can be a difficult thing to talk about, so thank you in advance for sharing your experiences in the survey. We'll use the results to inform and update the campaign.

A note about language: we've tried to be as sensitive as possible in choosing our words here. We hope we've made the right choices, but please do give us your feedback if you think something isn't right.

Please click here to complete the survey.

All who complete the survey will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks

MNHQ

anitagreen Tue 04-Dec-18 14:23:58

Done, I hope one day there is more information about chemical pregnancies and it's spoken about more

KTD27 Tue 04-Dec-18 14:37:57

Just FYI question 4 wouldn’t let me select more than one option

MeOldChina Tue 04-Dec-18 14:45:21

I was about to say the same re qu4

JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 04-Dec-18 14:47:32

Thanks @KTD27 and @MeOldChina - we've amended this now

Mouse14 Tue 04-Dec-18 16:10:00

Done! Some questions need the addition of 'N/A'

Definitely needs to be a more open topic. Also, more support in subsequent pregnancies, particularly before the 12 week scan. I'm currently 8 weeks and anxiously waiting 12 weeks....

MrsPear Tue 04-Dec-18 16:14:57

I clicked out of interest - saw ectopic and then filled it in. Many doctors have told me that ectopic is not pregnancy loss as it is never viable. So thank you.

jssicaa Tue 04-Dec-18 16:39:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SpunBodgeSquarepants Tue 04-Dec-18 17:27:18

Good timing - I had an ERPC last week

ChodeofChodeHall Tue 04-Dec-18 19:59:55

Done. Thanks for this, Mumsnet.

Rinceoir Wed 05-Dec-18 07:26:13

My local unit gave up to 2 week waits for erpc- might be worth adding longer time frames there as 2 weeks limbo is horrible.

StellaDixon Wed 05-Dec-18 10:56:52

OutPinked Wed 05-Dec-18 12:20:16

Done, thank you for this.

NotAnotherUserName5 Wed 05-Dec-18 16:07:42

Done.
Gosh, that brought it all back sad

Ashton08 Wed 05-Dec-18 18:46:35

Such an emotional survey to do😢 I just hope and pray that there is more care that goes into these families especially the women who are going through this loss xx

FoxtrotSkarloey Thu 06-Dec-18 07:23:26

I had two mc in 2017 so as instructed answered the survey based on the most recent, but think this doesn't reflect the full experience. My second was so much less awful because I took myself for a private scan rather than wait four + hours in a waiting room next to loads of pregnant women, I knew I'd need more time off work, I demanded pain relief rather than go through the agony of the first...

Curious as to why you ask for the most recent experience?

poppyseed2 Thu 06-Dec-18 07:59:51

Done. Difficult to bring those emotions back up, but it will be worthwhile if it improves the experience of other women in the future.

53rdWay Thu 06-Dec-18 14:12:42

Thanks for doing this MNHQ. And thanks as well for including the question about being contacted about the pregnancy by people who didn't know you'd miscarried. This has happened to me twice now after miscarrying, both times by hospital staff re scans and such, and it's horrible.

AmbeRiddle Thu 06-Dec-18 14:54:37

KaitlynRep Thu 06-Dec-18 17:35:03

nos123 Thu 06-Dec-18 21:34:01

Completing the survey made me realise that I had absolutely no support or aftercare following my miscarriages. I had one chemical miscarriage that was incredibly painful and another missed miscarriage at 9 weeks, which was painful but less intense.

I went to A&E after discovering pinky blood. I was tested for a UTI (positive) and given antibiotics while a scan was arranged for the next day. During the scan I was told I was suffering a mmc (9weeks) and told to come back in 10 days to confirm. Later that day the bleeding increased and it became obvious so I didn’t bother returning for the next scan. I informed the midwife centre to cancel my booking appointment and that was that. Though the midwife I spoke to was very kind I received no further support. There was no communication between the hospital consultant and my midwife so if I hadn’t called then she wouldn’t have known.

EllaSavag Fri 07-Dec-18 09:18:39

SiennaPreiss Sat 08-Dec-18 08:15:55

AlexisCubadgee Sat 08-Dec-18 15:08:54

Lixon Sat 08-Dec-18 15:38:10

I filled this in for my last miscarriage but actually my termination for medical reasons was the most traumatic pregnancy loss I have had and this doesn’t feature in your survey/I wasn’t clear if it applied..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: