Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for surveys for Mumsnet HQ and their clients. If you'd like to commission a survey of MN members email insight@mumsnet.com. Non MN surveys will be deleted.

UK MNer with at least one child? Fill in this survey on antibiotics - Chance to win £200 voucher

(34 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-Nov-17 12:13:15

We've teamed up with Public Health England to find out your views on antibiotics.

This survey is open to all UK MNers with at least one child.

Everyone who fills in the survey will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 voucher of their choice (from a list).

To fill in the survey click here

Thank you and good luck!

MNHQ

flimflaminurjams Fri 17-Nov-17 18:52:29

What a ridiculous survey. Heavily weighted questions.

Surely if there is perceived oversubscribing of antibiotics then PHE need to be having a word with the PRESCRIBERS not the public. We can't get antibiotics without the PRESCRIPTION from the Dr.

So insulting to assume we are all storing up antibiotics at home and passing them around like sweets ffs.

If people do press for antibiotics its probably because they can't afford to be off work and need to get back asap.

Ttbb Fri 17-Nov-17 20:42:18

I actually know a lot of people who do that though (keeping antibiotics that they haven't taken then giving them to other people like they were paracetamol, or doing that thing where they start taking them, stop when their symptoms alieviate but before they have finished then start again when surprise surprise the infection returns). There are a lot of idiots out there when it comes to antibiotic abuse.

hannahbjm Fri 17-Nov-17 21:51:00

done smile

SaturnUranus Fri 17-Nov-17 21:58:24

Question 4 was a bit confusing. I answered no to all of the options. Then I got to the bottom options where it says "None of the above".

Haven't I already technically answered that by clicking on "No" for all the other options? confused

SaturnUranus Fri 17-Nov-17 21:59:34

Sorry. I meant Question 6. blush

rollingonariver Fri 17-Nov-17 22:50:50

I think people need to be way more educated about antibiotics.
My dad is usually very knowledgeable on anything medical but was totally okay with being prescribed antibiotics for spots and he didn’t even finish the prescription so he had to be prescribed them again 😐

GingerIvy Fri 17-Nov-17 22:57:58

Yes, the question that ends with "None of the above" didn't actually NEED the "none of the above" option as a separate question.

And yes, the questions were oddly repetitive and weighted questions.

I would like to see the information that has recently been in the news about taken your full prescription of antibiotics. Current advice now (and for many years) has been to take the full prescription, however, I read something recently that stated that there is some discussion (due to studies apparently) that people should stop taking the antibiotics when they feel better. Frustrating as people will see that article in the paper and think it's fact. Is this a new development? Is it just in the "consideration" stages?

GingerIvy Fri 17-Nov-17 22:58:40

taking, not taken. God my spelling has been atrocious today.

InMySpareTime Sat 18-Nov-17 08:02:46

Done

Sierra259 Sat 18-Nov-17 08:07:41

Done. Such an important issue.

BonjourMeDarlin Sat 18-Nov-17 08:15:32

Done

BonjourMeDarlin Sat 18-Nov-17 08:16:30

The ad at the bottom of this grin

ThenBellaDidSomethingVeryKind Sat 18-Nov-17 08:21:02

Done

Fairylea Sat 18-Nov-17 08:23:23

Done

sparklyllama Sat 18-Nov-17 15:50:21

Done

ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 18-Nov-17 19:52:24

Done.

SpottyGecko Sat 18-Nov-17 21:12:12

Done

EveryDayIsLikeMonday Sat 18-Nov-17 23:51:05

Didn’t complete the survey as there was nowhere to record a response about not being prescribed antibiotics by a GP, when they were essential and were potentially life saving. Paracetamol is not always the answer!

Mehfruittea Sun 19-Nov-17 09:40:20

Agree questions are weighted, it’s actually a bit scary what they intend to do with these responses. I’ve been refused antibiotics and then ended up much sicker as a result.

Also, what are the government doing about antibiotics in our food chain, from farmers put under such pressure from supermarkets? I don’t know the answer to this, but would have thought a nation eating meat exposed to antibiotics would also play a part? Happy to be corrected.

colleysmill Sun 19-Nov-17 13:46:49

I actually didn't submit my response because I found the questions really weighted. As someone with a compromised immune system I have had to fight on occasions to get proper treatment for infections (not my GP though but our walk in centre AHPS ) and funnily enough when I've not received treatment I've ended up more unwell than necessary. Not getting antibiotics timely leaves me really vulnerable to a longer recovery and more serious illness.

This survey gives no place to explain any exception to the rules or opportunity to look at the reasons why people ask for antibiotics. It's a bit rubbish tbh

StealthPolarBear Sun 19-Nov-17 16:40:11

Really important topic thanknyou

StealthNinjaMum Sun 19-Nov-17 22:54:12

Done.

UniversalTruth Sun 19-Nov-17 23:05:48

I am a healthcare professional and I am very worried about antibiotic resistance. I don't care if PHE patronise me or if some posters thought the questionnaire was skewed. It's known that prescribers are pressured by the public to prescribe so they are trying to address that. In 50 years, your children might not able to have hip replacements because of this issue.

Jakeyboy1 Sun 19-Nov-17 23:11:27

Doesn't cover though when you are told 3 times you don't need them and then finally told you do and the problem goes away... I feel GPS are under too much pressure NOT to prescribe and it results in people making multiple appointments and repeat visits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now